Install nlited XP from HDD

knight_rider

Hello,

I have created an nlited XP installation. Is it possible to install this from a HDD? (diffrerent HDD to the one that XP will be installed on).

I will be using a 40Gb PATA drive to hold the setup files.

I take it I would boot from a floppy to see the drive and then run setup.exe??

Thanks,

Donald

New Zealand

knight_rider, I do installs of W7 from a separate partition running XP. If you have a running system on your machine, I think you should be able to run Setup from there. I think the DOS boot will also work. You did not post your Last Session.ini, so we cannot speculate as to problems you may have. Please let us know what you learn and if you have further questions attach your Last Session.ini. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I opened my Setup.exe (XP x64) in a hex editor and a comment in the file says it cannot be run in DOS mode, so this may well not work. Please let us know.

Edited by johnhc

Yes I can put a bootable xp onto the 40gb drive and run setup from within windows there. When running setup in windows mode, will it still follow all the integrations/tweaks and settings I applied in nlite???

The install drive will be a RAID 0 array, so when I remove the 40gb to leave only the raid array in the pc, how will I tell it to boot from the raid array??

knight_rider, it certainly should. When I install my W7 from an XP partition, as soon as W7 Setup restarts for the first time, it restarts into W7, not XP. All my application install, tweaks, etc are executed. In other words, XP is left behind, but in my case remains on its partition. I can then boot from either XP or W7 with W7 being the default. I can, of course, change the default. I assume you will have all the same actions and options. Please keep us informed. Enjoy, John.