Service Pack versus Hotfix

mraeryceos

I just added RyanVM's Net Framework 1.1 as a Service Pack in nLite (oops?). Should I have added it as a hotfix? What's the difference (can you add all hotfixes as service packs? What are the advantages/disadvantages? This is the first time I've ever bothered with hotfixes. :whistle:

ps. Outside of nLite, should kb hotfixes be added in numerical order? (what happens if one has a newer file than another)

Edited by mraeryceos

can you add all hotfixes as service packs? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Why would you ? I don't understand the question... basically you made an admitted mistake that apparently has no consequence and you ask if you can go on doing the same mistake when you see no advantage doing it. :huh:

I think you can only add one service pack at a time so keeping the list of your hotfixes in the appropriate screen is much more easy.

Also the SP path and name is not kept in the "last session.ini" file (don't ask me why) so you'd have to browse to it (or every single one of your hotfixes) everytime you rebuild a new disk.

I think (you might search for "order" for more info) that nLite checks the hotfixes for the good order. What you do not want is adding a fix for a program that is not included in your XP, like IE8 or WMP10.

can you add all hotfixes as service packs? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Why would you ? I don't understand the question... basically you made an admitted mistake that apparently has no consequence and you ask if you can go on doing the same mistake when you see no advantage doing it. :huh:

No, I want to know what the difference is between what nlite does in those two functions. Here's my guess: one slipstreams, and the other installs during gui mode. Why use one versus the other? Why was what I did a mistake?

I think you can only add one service pack at a time so keeping the list of your hotfixes in the appropriate screen is much more easy.

Also the SP path and name is not kept in the "last session.ini" file (don't ask me why) so you'd have to browse to it (or every single one of your hotfixes) everytime you rebuild a new disk.

Thanks! Those are the types of details I want to hear.

Edited by mraeryceos

mraeryceos, the Service Pack Task is for a Windows Service Pack and it is slipped using the /integrate switch. Hot fixes are mainly integrated by nLite but some cannot be, so they are run via svcpack. If you have any further comments/questions, please attach you Last Session.ini as requested in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS above. Enjoy, John.

Thank you John. Wish this was like Facebook: I would "like" your comment, rather than adding another comment to the thread. :)

I knew this was an easy question, but I didn't find the answer in documentation. I didn't even know about svcpack method. But now I do: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/24/

Edited by mraeryceos