Extracing Dll Files

itzbinnice

Just did a complete new reinstall of WinXP with including formating to NTFS. Had a problem with Explorer and the new install fixed that but created another problem,

I am running Win Me on a seperate drive that was already installed. I used to dual boot from the XP boot menu but can no longer do that. While booting I click on the Win Me menu option but the system won't boot and it states the "hal.dll" file in

Windowssystem32 is missing or corrupt.

The file is there so I am trying to replace it with the one on the WinXP CD, only problem is it's compressed. It shows as

hal.dl_. I used to know how to extract such files but have forgotten how. Could somebody please advise the proceedure to extract the file from the disk and unzip it. Thanks for your help.

Had the same problem when upgrading from Win98 to WinXP. What you can do is: Boot from a 95/98/ME startup disk (if your C drive isnt NTFS), edit boot.ini and change every instance of:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(*)WINDOWS

replacing * by the partition where the boot files are located, usually 1 or 2. save (its readonly, so youll have to get by that) and reboot and it should work. hope this helps...

http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/6439.html

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/8431.html

Try those two links above

This link says you might need to reinstall XP again. Make sure your XP cd is legitimate, as there are many pirates out there who are offering XP but it is fake. If you suspect your CD is fake contact microsoft for a replacement.

Big Booger:yeahyeah

Thanks guys for the tips.

Babis I am still unable to get the file hal.dl_. to expand.

Here's what I did, I found the expand.exe file in C:windowssystem 32 directory.

I then copied it onto a bootable floppy.

I copied the hal.dl_ file from xp disc to a temp dir c:aa

Booting from flopyy this is the command I used:

a:expand.exe c:aahal.dl_ c:aa

I figured this needed to be done in Dos mode but received a message saying this function could not be performed in Dos.

I then booted into XP and in the run feature I typed:

expand c:aahal.dl_ c:aa, saw some activity on the screen but the file remained in the compressed state.

I even tried clicking on the file, open with, then selected expand from the winsystem32, no good, didn't work.

Could you please tell me how I can uncompress with the expand command.