Network newbie with FreeNAS connection problem

mikep56

Hi all,

I am a network newbie, but a reasonably savvy computer user otherwise. I am trying to set up a FreeNAS box for the first time. I downloaded the image and booted from the CD, and all is good. To configure the system I need to connect another PC to the FreeNAS box via ethernet, and connect with the IP address. It doesn't state how to do this, so I connect each PC to an ethernet hub, connections 1 and 2, and power up the hub. I assume that I should now be able to connect to the FreeNAS box from my other PC by entering the IP address. However I get no connection. The green lights are lit on the hub, and I can ping each PC to itself. But I cannot ping one from the other; I get 0% connection. The "other PC" is the PC that I am connected to the internet with; and device manager shows no problems. My internet connection is via wireless dongle, and in Network Connections for the Local Area Connection it shows Limited or no connectivity. The activity screen shows packets sent but 0 packets received, and there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for a great resource!

Mike

EDIT The problem was a bad router.

Ouch!

Mike

Edited by mikep56