Microsoft .Net Framework Repar Options ?

Caji316

I have all the .net frameworks from 1,1.1,2,3,3.5, and 4 on my Home XP. I can go into add and remove programs and repair all of these by clicking on the change button except for 1, 1.1. Is there a way to repair these 2 without having to re-install them I always run into a lot of problems if I have to do that. Like, does Microsoft have a place to go that checks all your .net frame work installs and then repairs the ones that are bad? Thanks for any help...

P/S..Net frame work 1 and 1.1 don't offer the change option, only a delete option....

Each time I reboot my computer a handling exception error will pop up about .NetFrame Work. As far as I know it doesn't say which version the error is from but I have used the change button to restore all of them except version 1 and 1.1. i still get the error so I guess one of them needs a repair. Thanks....

Edited by Caji316

Hi caji316....

for Repairing the .NET Framework without uninstallation you can do that...

There are two options to repair the .NET Framework

Option A: Repair the .NET Framework 1.1 by using the command prompt

Locate the Dotnetfx.exe file that you used to install the .NET Framework 1.1. To do this, use one of the following meth

• If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from a CD or from a DVD, insert the installation disc in your CD drive or DVD drive.

If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from your hard disk, download the .NET Framework 1.1 Setup program to your hard disk.

If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from a network drive, reconnect to the network drive.

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, run the following command:

%InstallationPath%\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"

Note %InstallationPath% is a placeholder for the path of the Dotnetfx.exe file that you located in step 1.

Option B: Repair the .NET Framework 1.1 by using the Windows Installer cache file

Click Start, click Run, type Installer, and then click OK.

On the View menu in Windows Installer, click Details.

Do one of the following, depending on your operating system:

In Windows XP, right-click the Name column header, and then click Comments.

In Windows 2000, right-click the Name column header, and then click Comment.

Right-click the cached Windows Installer file that has the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 RTL x86 enu comment, and then click Repair.

After the repair process is complete, exit the Installer

and for more help you can go on that link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643

HI, Thanks for the replies. i tried both these ways but it want ever finish repairing them as it is looking for some file the installer needs that must have been stored in the temp file or folder and they have been deleted when i use a clean-up utility. I went to the "Installer" folder and clicked on the .netframe 1.1 msi. installer and then clicked "Repair" after about 1 min. it wants me to show it where some file is at that is suppose to be in the temp folder but it isn't there. Here is the .NetFrame Work error box I get at all boot-ups:

System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

P/S...I am no computer expert....lol.....But I can follow your directions if you might know what I need to do. Thanks again....

Edited by Caji316

.NET doesn't (by default) start or run anything by default, so if you get an exception I doubt it's the framework that's broken. In fact, that callstack looks like a .NET application is calling into native code (poorly) and crashing. I'd guess you had or have something .NET-related that's trying, albeit in vain, to run at system startup. Might be worth using autoruns to get rid of anything not absolutely system-critical from your startup (services and programs) and start putting things back a few at a time until you can reproduce the error (and thus know where it's coming from).

It wasn't the auto run folder I see now that was messing up. The error has come back. It just disappeared that 1 time at boot-up. Guess it was just a fluke. Anyway, the exception error is back with the .NetFrame header on it saying what I posted earlier as the error. Thanks for any help.....

Thanks Cluberti, that did the trick, I hope....lol...I used the program you linked to and I saw a Super Anti-Spy ware program trying to load at Log-on. I deleted this program a few days ago and I guess it didn't get ride of this entry. Anyway, thanks a lot man. This is really a good program to know what is happening with you puter and all. Take care.....