Netgear PCMCIA Wi-Fi Card for Windows 98SE

Monroe

Came across this Netgear Wi-Fi card for sale at Amazon. I thought I would post this information in case someone else might need a Wi-Fi card that will still work with Windows 98SE. I had two from some years back and they weren't cheap but it was a Netgear and installed OK for Windows 98SE. I am aware that many newer notebook computers no longer have slots for PCMCIA cards which made me think that these type of cards may start to disappear or get hard to find one day. So I thought I had better hunt around for a spare or two of the Wi-Fi cards and ones that still work with Windows 98SE. I found a good deal at Amazon from an Amazon seller ... I bought one from this merchant for $14.95 with free shipping included. A few days later I saw that they had dropped the price to $13.95 (been that way for two weeks) but to get free shipping you have to order 2 to total over $25 for Amazon free shipping. I paid over $30 apiece back in 2006 so these cards have dropped in price quite a bit. It is brand new (not refurbished) and works with Windows 98SE. Yesterday, I decided to get two more just to have on hand. Maybe these cards will still be around in 5 years if I were to need one, I don't know ... so many things for Windows 98SE have disappeared over the last several years.

"The WG511 is a PC Card and requires a Pentium class PC with an available 32-bit CardBus slot for installation. It supports Windows Vista and is also compatible with Windows XP, 2000, 98SE, and Me. Setup is as simple as inserting the card into the slot and installing the included software. A built-in stub antenna helps you receive a strong signal for the fastest possible speeds."

When I got the package there was a note that it should also work with Vista. I went to the Netgear website and downloaded the drivers from there.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WG511NA-Wireless-Pc-Card/dp/B00008I9K8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1288192384&sr=8-5

Amazon has started selling these cards but their price is a little higher than the seller's price ... yesterday the Amazon card was over $14 but today it is $13.99, but that can change daily. Look on the right side for State Street Deals ... should be the first one listed for $13.95.

Netgear Driver download: (It comes with a CD, so the driver is also probably on it. I just went to the Netgear site for the latest driver and it did work for me with Windows 98SE.

WG511v2 Software Version 3.2

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2569

Edited by duffy98

• 2 weeks later...

The Netgear WG511v2 generally (+95% of the time) has the Marvel chipset which is acknowledged by many including myself as being totally s***ty. I would not waste good money on that card.

If you are going to go for a Netgear PCMCIA card the WG511T (with Atheros AR5215 chipset) is light years ahead.

Otherwise top of the list is the Edimax EW-7108PCG with Ralink chipset and also includes the Aegis software to enable to run the WPA supplicant which is not native to 98SE.

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

I'm not sure how to tell what chip set I might have but I did a search on Google and it's probably the Marvel set. I actually have the WG511T from several years back. Just wanted a spare card or two for the future. I have been using the WG511v2 steady for about a month and it's been working great. I would have problems sometimes with the WG511T connecting but the WG511v2 card has been better on that score. It seems to pick up the same number of Wi-Fi spots as the WG511T card but I like the way the WG511v2 connects. It takes a few seconds longer but it seems to be a nearly 100% success for me. It also goes into the PCMCIA slot better than the WG511T. Sometimes the WG511T just didn't seem to sit right in the slot. Well, the extra cards weren't very expensive and I wanted some spares but at a cheap price. Not many WG511T cards for sale at Amazon anymore, if I remember. Thanks for the info on the different cards. I will try to find out what chip set is in the cards I bought.