WD My Passport takes a long time to be visible!

Hello,

I was using the removable USB hard drive on linux. Instead of using safe remove I choose EJECT. When it was unmounted I removed the USB from the rear of the PC (at that moment I sensed the Disk was spinning) and since then problems began.

The USB disk became too slow. Linux (Fedora) reports( after about 3-4 minutes from mounting the disk) hard disk failure, that some sectors are being dislocated and something about mapping.

In MS windows, it also takes a long time to be visible. looking into the "Devices and printers" window an exclamation mark is placed on "My Passport" device saying that " the driver for WD SES Device USB Device is not installed". Choosing "Apply this fix" does not fix the problem.

Also, while copying data to the USB device it sometimes hangs for 3-4 minutes then it may resume the copying process. The writing speed is normal at about 18 to 24 MB/sec.

That was the problem. I have done some trials to fix the problem but still no results:

1- I quick formatted the device

2- Updated its firmware

3- tried to format it with not checking the "quick format" box, but after waiting about 2 hours it said that it can't complete.

4-I zeroed the disk using the "clean all" command in DiskPart then created a partition and formatted it (NTFS)

5- I scanned the disk for bad sectors using HDD regenerative and the disk was clean(no bad sectors).

I don't know anymore if this is a software or a hardware problem. Any ideas on how to restore the disk to function properly?

Hello!

I've also some troubles with WDWare!

You need to install the driver: WD SES Device.

Answer ID

Instructions for recovering the WD SmartWare installer

What is the SES driver, why is it required and how can I get rid of the repeated prompts to install the driver?

Important: The SES driver is different from the Virtual CD, and the WD SmartWare software. To access the full capablities of your drive, you will be required to install both the SES driver, and the WD SmartWare software. If you wish to use the drive as a simple hard drive and do not require access to the advanced features of the drive, you can hide the VCD by following Answer ID 3835: How to disable (hide) the Virtual CD (VCD) for Windows or Mac OSX on a My Book or My Passport drive . Western Digital still recommends installing the SES driver when not using WD SmartWare, but the drive will function without it. The prompts to install the driver are part of the Windows Operating system and will always occur when connecting a drive to a Windows PC without the driver installed.

You will want to specify the location of the driver, so check the Include this location in the search. Then have it search on the Virtual CD in the x:\extras\WD SES Device Driver folder. (“x” would be the drive letter of your Virtual CD).

Downloads

I hope that can help you!

Edited by myselfidem