Can't Install KernelEx 4.5 RC 1

Monroe

... I don't why this didn't stay in the KernelEx 4.5 RC 1 message thread. I was there reading and wrote this message there. Can someone please move it to the KernelEx thread.

I have had KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 installed on my notebook with Win 98SE with no problems. Yesterday I decided to try KernelEx 4.5 RC 1 ... wasn't sure if I had to uninstall the older version first (4.0 Final 2) but I did uninstall it and when I went to install 4.5 RC 1 I got this error message.

-------------------------------------

Error: Failed to open backup file C:\windows\kernelex\kernel32.bak

Possible causes: Previous version not uninstalled correctly or file has been deleted.

Restore C:\windows\system\kernelex32.dll manually from install media

-------------------------------------

I did a check in "Find Files or Folders" and kernelex.dll was in the system folder. I reinstalled ver 4.0 Final 2 with no problem. I then tried to install ver 4.5 RC 1 again over ver 4.0 Final 2 and got the same above error message. Can someone explain what it means and how to install ver 4.5 RC 1.

thanks ...

Edited by duffy98

Error: Failed to open backup file C:\windows\kernelex\kernel32.bak

Possible causes: Previous version not uninstalled correctly or file has been deleted.

Restore C:\windows\system\kernel32.dll manually from install media

This basically means that backup file for KERNEL32.DLL was missing during uninstall which couldn't be fully completed and you're locked at 4.0f2

Follow these steps to recover from this situation and allow upgrades:

1. Click on "Start" button

2. Select "Run..."

3. Type "sfc" and click "OK" - this will run "System File Checker" utility

4. Select "Extract one file from installation disk"

5. Type "kernel32.dll" in the edit box below

6. Click on "Start"

7. Insert you Windows 98 SE CD-ROM

8. Choose approperiate path to CD, eg. "D:\WIN98\" in first edit box

9. Click "OK"

10. Choose if (and where) you want backup old file

11. When asked to reboot click "Yes"

wrknn05.th.gif

OK Xeno86 ... all worked and I was finally able to install KernelEx 4.5 RC 1. Thanks so much for the assist ... I see the kernel32.bak file, in the KernelEx folder, that was missing before. I made an extra copy and will save it on a CD for the future in case. I know now what happened ... I have a hard drive cleaning tool that cleans out junk files, including "bak" files. I have put that Kernel32.bak file on the Protect List. Thanks again for your help.