PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

Gah. I crawled through the /SOS code and I can't find anything wrong. Let's test something else. Here is an early c5a that is the same as c5 but with one change: it increases the image size by the amount that I need for the scroll buffer. I want to see if the larger kernel size is causing a problem. I can't see why, but nothing else makes sense so far.

Windows2000-KB2393802-v1-early-c5a-x86-ENU.exe

I'm thinking that the way to proceed is to redo v4, but without having to change the file and section alignment values. Here is a v1-early-c5b that has all the new bootskin code added, but none of it is connected. However, it also has the separate .skin section that I need and combines two data sections so I could add the skin section without having to mess with the header size or alignment values.

Windows2000-KB2393802-v1-early-c5b-x86-ENU.exe

v1-early-c5b works... but I've experienced some "memory cannot be read" errors for last few days. I'm not sure if they're related to the patch though as I've been testing many different things recently.

---

I prepared a new update KB908536.

It installs a uxtheme.dll file which is absolutely necessary for Adobe Flash 11. Its control panel applet is not installed if no uxtheme.dll is present in the system.

Windows2000-HBR-KB908536-x86-Global.exe

Edited by tomasz86

Here's one more test ;) This one has all the necessary changes to the input table and basically does everything short of hooking in the bootskin code. If this works, the next one will be a complete V4 for the multiprocessor kernels (and if that works, I'll make the same changes to the uniprocessor ones).

Windows2000-KB2393802-v1-early-c5c-x86-ENU.exe

Here's another set of suggestions for functions to add:

With one additional function, we should be able to use Windows XP's MSVCRT.DLL, which would allow even more software to function under Win2k (i.e. getting us closer to being able to run .NET Framework 3.x and 4.0 and VS2008, as well as fixing some more drivers and newer DirectX Runtimes):

NTDLL.DLL -> RtlGetNtVersionNumbers

Some more functions and what they would fix:

KERNEL32.DLL -> GetSystemTimes (Grand Theft Auto IV)

KERNEL32.DLL -> RtlCaptureContext (QuickTime, iTunes)

KERNEL32.DLL -> GetGeoInfoA (iTunes, Games for Windows Live)

KERNEL32.DLL -> GetUserGeoID (iTunes, Games for Windows Live)

KERNEL32.DLL -> SetThreadUILanguage (Games for Windows Live)

KERNEL32.DLL -> WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId (Games for Windows Live)

SHELL32.DLL -> SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW (QuickTime,iTunes)

SHELL32.DLL -> SHParseDisplayName (QuickTime)

WTSAPI32.DLL -> WTSQueryUserToken (iTunes, nVidia Drivers)

WTSAPI32.DLL -> WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification (WinUAE)

WTSAPI32.DLL -> WTSRegisterSessionNotification (WinUAE)

USER32.DLL -> GetRawInputData (Media Player Classic Home Cinema, WinUAE)

USER32.DLL -> GetRawInputDeviceInfoW (Media Player Classic Home Cinema, WinUAE)

USER32.DLL -> GetRawInputDeviceList (Media Player Classic Home Cinema, WinUAE)

USER32.DLL -> RegisterRawInputDevices (Media Player Classic Home Cinema, WinUAE)

USER32.DLL -> DefRawInputProc (WinUAE)

RPCRT4.DLL -> RpcServerInqCallAttributesW (Games for Windows Live)

IPHLPAPI.DLL -> IcmpCreateFile (VirtualBox 4)

IPHLPAPI.DLL -> IcmpSendEcho2 (VirtualBox 4)

I probably suggested a couple of these functions in past posts, but these are mostly new ones. Again, no rush and keep up the great work! :)

Another note on VS2008: I am still going through the files and will post another list when I am done. A version lie (reporting the OS as Windows XP SP2 or SP3) would also be required to start the setup program.

Note on Games For Windows Live: I believe this also needs .NET Framework 3.0 or 4.0 as well.

EDIT: Crossed out functions added in MS11-011 v5

EDIT: Crossed out functions added in MS11-020 v5

Edited by MacLover

MacLover,

.NET Framework 3.0 & 3.5 (except for XPS and WIC?) already run in Win2k without any kernel patches and newest DX9.0c works well with BlackWingCat's kernel v5. In case of .NET 3.x it's only the installer that doesn't support Win2k.

Edited by tomasz86

tomasz86 -

there seemed to be a few functions missing for WPF as well. And getting XPS and WIC working would be nice.

Some of the XAudio files and such seem to be missing two functions in MSVCRT.DLL.

Edited by MacLover

tomasz86 -

there seemed to be a few functions missing for WPF as well. And getting XPS and WIC working would be nice.

Some of the XAudio files and such seem to be missing two functions in MSVCRT.DLL.

You're right about WPF. In case of XPS and WIC, it seems that BlackWingCat has got it work with his wrapper. I guess you've already tried BlackWingCat's .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

EDIT

Only one function is needed for Java 7:

shell32.dll -> SHGetFolderPathEx

It still works without it but there's an error in Event Viewer:

The open procedure for service "PerfDisk" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\perfdisk.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

I'm not sure how it is related to Java but still after doing a test I can say for sure that it's directly caused by the new version of Java.

Edited by tomasz86