Soundcard's gameport not there?

HardDriv'n

Hello.

I recently tried adding a MS Sidewinder Pro 1.0 controller to my soundcard's gameport through the Control Panel's game controller options.

The thing is it's giving me an error message:

'Your Gameport or Gameport Drivers are not properly configured, please consult the Device Manager'

So, I opened up the device manager, but there isn't even an entry for the gameport under the 'sound/video/game controller' tree.

I have the very same controller working on the same PC through Windows 98, and 2000. Could this simply be a driver issue?

The driver I installed to XP was the 'dsxgxp.exe', from here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/index.html

Does XP simply not support gameport drivers? Because, I can't even get it to recognize the standard gameport on the back panel of the PC either.

Not one person has an idea why the default game-port (serial), or the sound-card's game-port don't even show in the device manager?

The sound-card game port is recognized just fine in previous versions of Windows. Are there any old school users around who might know what's up?

I can use USB game pads just fine, btw.

Does XP simply not support gameport drivers?

XP does support gameport drivers but it seems it's using the stock driver that is coming with XP. You can use the W2K before as it's almost the same driver model. It should work.

It seems that driver might be defective, "physically" (corrupt) or by design.

Try to uninstall and reinstalling (you might have to remove oem*.inf (and optionally oem*.pnf) files from %SystemRoot%\inf) to prevent automatic installation of existing drivers that did not come with Windows) Yamaha drivers.

After uninstalling the XP drivers, I installed the 2k ones. The gameport was recognized, but not the PCI audio...

After trying to reverse the situation, I kept getting prompts for the Windows 2000 install disc version of files (dll, sys).

I'll try out the removal of the OEM 'inf/pnf' files next.

TBH, the stock gameport driver should work with any gameport; As long as the hardware gets assigned an address properly, all the driver has to do is read from that location.

Use the XP drivers for the card, but you can try manually installing the gameport driver, or forcing it to use the 2K driver for the gameport only?

Failing that, there is always the option of getting a gameport-usb adaptor.

What stick is it BTW, a Sidewinder 3D Pro or a Precision Pro?

I recently bought a convertor for my 3D Pro so that I can use it in digital mode (Modern machines are too fast for that to work over a gameport, so the stick will go back into analogue mode)