Slipstreamed XP won't take product key

healer

Just to be sure. What is failing is the product key and it can be retail, oem or vlk?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722

How to reproduce this issue

1. Copy the Windows XP Professional Volume License RTM flat file to the C:\Flat directory.
  2. Run the following command:WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.exe /integrate:c:\flat
  3. Run the Winnt32.exe program, or start from the media to start Setup.

When you are prompted for the product key, your Volume License product key will not be accepted. However, a retail key will be accepted.

Edited by -X-

Most direct SP3 manual guide:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml

Meat of it?

6.Slipstream the Service Pack

From the command prompt window, which will be a black window with a blinking cursor, type the following, followed by the ENTER key.

C:\XPSP3.EXE /integrate:C:\XPSETUP

Note that there is only one space character -- between the "C:\XPSP3" and the rest of the line. If you did not name the service pack "XPSP3.exe" and place it at the top level of C: as I described earlier, you'll have to modify the command line accordingly.

The process will take some time to complete, so take a coffee break if you wish.

Thanks for all the trouble.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

I KNOW this tool works on win7 to slipstream.

Thanks! I have tried AutoStreamer before I came back to nLite. AutoStreamer has the same requirement in that one has to run it on the same operating system as the slipstreamed one to be created.

Edited by healer

After a s***load of testing I have come to the conclusion slipstreaming in Win7 will fail no matter what the method.

I would run a vm of your base XP disk and make your slipsreamed source within it.

Then keep a couple of copies of that source around.

Thanks for the advice. I shall bear that in mind. I do have Windows XP Mode installed on my Windows 7 system.

Just to be sure. What is failing is the product key and it can be retail, oem or vlk?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722

How to reproduce this issue

1. Copy the Windows XP Professional Volume License RTM flat file to the C:\Flat directory.
  2. Run the following command:WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.exe /integrate:c:\flat
  3. Run the Winnt32.exe program, or start from the media to start Setup.

When you are prompted for the product key, your Volume License product key will not be accepted. However, a retail key will be accepted.

In my case, it was an OEM key.

• 2 months later...

I've been surfing the net to find a solution to my product key problem but still haven't found one. The hints I find don't solve the problem.

I have an XP Pro installation CD with SP3 included. As such it used to work just fine.

I then slipstreamed SATA drivers into it using the most recent version of nlite (1.4.9.1).

I did not remove nor insert anything else. I just created an ISO image.

When using the resulting bootable CD on my laptop (not connected to a network at the time) it used a SATA driver nicely and was able to access the hard drive but the installation no longer accepted my product key. Instead I immediately got

Error: The Product Id you entered is not valid.

I ran the nlite session on another XP Pro (with SP2) to begin with in the belief I would not see this problem!!

Any more hints?

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by kleppamaki

kleppamaki, how did you copy your CD? Did you do it manually or use nLite? If you did not use nLite, try that - click Browse and go to your CD. Please look in your System Log, right click My Computer-Manage-System Log, and look for any CDPROM errors. Also look at your CD for any smudges, scratches, etc and clean it. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: We may be working on the wrong error. Please open SETUPP.INI (found in your I386 folder) in notepad and tell us what the Pid value is. Did the message really say 'The Product Id you entered is not valid' or KEY? Are you sure your are using the key that belongs with the CD? Sounds like you are using an OEM key with a retail CD or vice-versus.

Edited by johnhc