XP w/sp2 with Dell; nLite CD would not work.

pilotart

All I had was the WinXP Pro with sp2 that was supplied with my Dell. All I did with nLite (latest version from download site) was to slipstream SP3 as well as the collection of 80 odd updates using tool to download from this forum, only 'mod' tried was to not install Windows Messenger.

After first nLite CD would not work properly (too many errors to list) I tried a second nLite CD after seeing mention in here about just deleting the 'sp2' from the Dell (CD copied to my desktop on another Dell) and it was worse.

The first nLite got as far (last try out of at least twenty attempts) as the "Format" completed (a brand new Hard Drive) and then put up this error message:

The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section {SourcDisksFles] with key "SP3.cab.

Setup cannot continue. to quit Setup, press F3.

F3=Quit

(copied from a scribbled scrap of paper)

Then it said "NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and I then used the Dell OEM XP CD for a problem free install, followed by running SP3 and all the subsequent Ms Updates.

The Dell OEM CD did not have any "Dell" apps included and after the above was completed, I had to install all the Dell Drivers, this was a Precision M60 with latest BIOS, Centrino 2.4MHz and 1.5GB RAM that had a Hard Drive with many bad sectors, last being system32.

Advantage with Dell's OEM seemed to be that not only was no 'registration' needed (had no internet until after installing MS Security Essentials Anti Virus/Malware Program) and when I went to Ms Update, it was accepted without question. 25 character code was never asked for and I even had used a Dell OEM CD from one of my newer Dell's.

I now have the system working perfectly and only post this for information to others with Dell OEM CD's that might want to use nLite.

Edited by pilotart

For further reading, there are plenty of posts here from users that have OEM manufacturer provided XP disks. They are not exactly what you would get by buying an XP disk from MS, as they can contain recovery options and other stuff. These customizations by the OEMs are the ones that cause the problems when used with nLite.

Welcome to MSFN