Question!

andym2508

Is it possible to have a bootable USB Drive (flash or hDD) which contains and can run Windows 7 installers AND Win PE3 boot.wim files?

I've spent the past week trying to do this without success (it only seems to use the one) and would appreciate a definitive answer!

My ultimate goal would be to use my 300gb usb hdd to boot a menu which contains

1 - my winpe3 boot.wim with pstart etc

2 - xp installer

3 - windows 7/2008 installers

4 - recovery pe?

5 - live OS which can work with local pc's c drive

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by andym2508

The answer is yes, but a couple things.

1. Recovery PE? like WinRE is actually just WinPE.

2. WinPE can be a custom OS, look here:

Your main problem is that you would need a 32bit WinPE to build, but then you can't install 64bit OS. Another problem (uh yeah I can't tell you how to do this) is if you don't build your boot environment properly, you may find that no PC will have enough memory to boot your custom PE.

You already received your warn about Hiren's... :hello:

The answer is yes, but a couple things.

1. Recovery PE? like WinRE is actually just WinPE.

2. WinPE can be a custom OS, look here:

Your main problem is that you would need a 32bit WinPE to build, but then you can't install 64bit OS. Another problem (uh yeah I can't tell you how to do this) is if you don't build your boot environment properly, you may find that no PC will have enough memory to boot your custom PE.

You already received your warn about Hiren's... :hello:

1) Basically just the windows recovery tools which enable you to repair mbr etc? - cool! I assume I can do these tasks from WinPE custom OS :)

2) Would running WinPE as a custom OS allow me to view a local computers hard drives? - I assume so looking at the screenshots on the link provided - that would also negate the need for third party tools.

Thanks for your advice and clarification, I suppose I will have to carry a separate USB key for 7x64 installs - not the end of the world!

Just setting up test machine to run both 32-bit and 64-bit dual boot so I can start creating!

Apologies for Hiren reference, I only use it for its password and explorer tools which i should not longer need once i set up portable os.

many thanks

Andy

What I have managed to do so far is make my usb flash drive bootable, copy the contents of 7x32-bit iso to the route - tested installing - worked ok

Created Portable Win7PE with PStart etc - renamed and copied the generated Wim file to SOURCES directory on flash drive as bootp.wim

Used EasyBCD 2 to change boot record so I get asked to install Windows 7 32-bit or run Windows 7 Portable.

I just need to add drivers to allow Portable 7 to run universally accross all our machines - I'm currently stripping the huge installer files out of my driver folder.

Separate USB Key acquired for Win 7 64-bit installer!

The next two goals of my project are to setup a customised win7 installer - following guides on here! and to try and install Windows XP from same active partition as everything else!

What I have managed to do so far is make my usb flash drive bootable, copy the contents of 7x32-bit iso to the route - tested installing - worked ok

Created Portable Win7PE with PStart etc - renamed and copied the generated Wim file to SOURCES directory on flash drive as bootp.wim

Used EasyBCD 2 to change boot record so I get asked to install Windows 7 32-bit or run Windows 7 Portable.

I just need to add drivers to allow Portable 7 to run universally accross all our machines - I'm currently stripping the huge installer files out of my driver folder.

Separate USB Key acquired for Win 7 64-bit installer!

The next two goals of my project are to setup a customised win7 installer - following guides on here! and to try and install Windows XP from same active partition as everything else!

Is it not that the wims contain the os types e.g. x64 or x86, so as long as a wim is made in x64 mode and dismounted correctly, you should just be able to put an x64 wim (whether this be win 7 etc) in the sources folder and use the easy bcd boot menu to point to that wim?

Can any other user tell me if that is the case?

• 2 weeks later...