Windows 7 Download

jh6004

Hi Everyone,

I used my college email address to get a discounted windows 7 download this past winter. I just bought a new hard drive and would like to freshly install windows 7 on it, however I cannot remember where the file was saved. I do not think that I burnt it to a disk at the time of download (my mistake) but I assume that the files were saved somewhere. Do any of you know where/under what name the files would be so that I could load it onto my new drive?

Please let me know what you think!

You can change the view of Windows 7 explorer the same way you did in XP. If you switch it to details veiw you will be able to see the file sizes.

As far as where it could be, it could end up being anywhere. Where people save their files is personal preference so there would be no real way for anyone to say "look here" and you would find it. It would be an extreme coincidence likely!

But first, make sure the drive is indexed, because Windows search might not find things that are in un-indexed locations. Then go into a command prompt, and do a cd\ so you are at c:\> then run this:

dir *.iso /s

or possibly if the file got hidden for some reason:

dir *.iso /s /a:h

You can change the view of Windows 7 explorer the same way you did in XP. If you switch it to details veiw you will be able to see the file sizes.

As far as where it could be, it could end up being anywhere. Where people save their files is personal preference so there would be no real way for anyone to say "look here" and you would find it. It would be an extreme coincidence likely!

But first, make sure the drive is indexed, because Windows search might not find things that are in un-indexed locations. Then go into a command prompt, and do a cd\ so you are at c:\> then run this:

dir *.iso /s

or possibly if the file got hidden for some reason:

dir *.iso /s /a:h

I did this and it did find 2 new files: $IMQLTWG.iso and $RMQLTWG.iso the second one is much larger (about 3.37GB) and was created Jan. 22 2010 so I think this is likely to be it. How can I now access this file?

Edited by jh6004

You would need to burn the ISO to a DVD using a disc burning program, or use the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD tool to put the contents on a 4GB USB key.

Yes, I plan on doing that. First though, I need to find where those files are actually located. Since the command prompt only found the files but did not display a path, and a regular explorer search wont find them, how do I know where to get them so that I can burn them? Also, it seems to me that there should be more than just that one file... is that really all i would need to completely install windows??

See that little open space in your start menu? It says "Search for programs and files" put this is it:

$RMQLTWG.iso

And it should find it for you!

Once found follow cluberti's advice in the previous post.

An iso is an image of the disk's contents. Kinda like a box that holds everything.

IF it is hidden (Probably is) do this and then search again please:

1. Click Start.
2. Type "search" in start search box.
3. click "Change search options for files and folders".
4. Now, Click on View tab .
5. Under View,
a)Select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives
b)Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
c)Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
6. Click on Apply and Ok.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

See that little open space in your start menu? It says "Search for programs and files" put this is it:

$RMQLTWG.iso

And it should find it for you!

Once found follow cluberti's advice in the previous post.

An iso is an image of the disk's contents. Kinda like a box that holds everything.

IF it is hidden (Probably is) do this and then search again please:

1. Click Start.
2. Type "search" in start search box.
3. click "Change search options for files and folders".
4. Now, Click on View tab .
5. Under View,
a)Select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives
b)Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
c)Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
6. Click on Apply and Ok.

Thanks, I tried this but it still does not return anything, yet cmd still claims they are out there somewhere.

Thanks, I tried this but it still does not return anything, yet cmd still claims they are out there somewhere.

Try dir *.iso /s /d - this will give you folder pathing information above the files it finds.

Try dir *.iso /s /d - this will give you folder pathing information above the files it finds.

Alright, so I did this and it did find the files. However, it says that they are in $recycle.bin and I could not find this through explorer. So, I went to that level in the command prompt and did a dir /a:h and found the folder that the .iso search returned. It is called S-1-5-21-3391303531-2177660944-2853904521-1000 and the date provided to the left of it is 8/9/10. Should this be a list of things currently in my recycle bin? When I did a dir on the folder S-1-5... it came back with a bunch of .exe (as well as a few random .docx and .tar etc.) but there are no actual names just $ followed by a bunch of numbers. I was able to locate the .iso file I found before but when I looked in the recycle bin it was not there. If this is actually the windows 7 file, how can I recover it?

Try this vbscript:

'// Get an account SID via Win32_Account

Option Explicit
Dim strComputer, strUser, strSID
Dim objWMIService, objShellApp, objItem
Dim colItems

'// Ensure that cscript is the engine used to run this script:
RunMeWithCScript()

'// Set error handling:
On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."

'// Connect to WMI and get the list of Account/SID info:
Set objShellApp = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Account",,48)

'// Find the SID for the user:
For Each objItem in colItems
If objItem.SID = "S-1-5-21-3391303531-2177660944-2853904521-1000"
strUser = objItem.Name
strSID = objItem.SID
End If
Next

WScript.Echo "SID " & strSID & ":"
WScript.Echo strUser

On Error GoTo 0

Sub RunMeWithCScript()
Dim ScriptEngine, engineFolder, Args, arg, scriptName, argString, scriptCommand

ScriptEngine = UCase(Mid(WScript.FullName, InstrRev(WScript.FullName, "\") + 1))
engineFolder = Left(WScript.FullName, InstrRev(WScript.FullName, "\"))
argString = ""

If ScriptEngine = "WSCRIPT.EXE" Then
Dim Shell
Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set Args = WScript.Arguments

For Each arg in Args
If InStr(arg, " ") > 0 Then arg = """" & arg & """"
argString = argString & " " & Arg
Next

scriptCommand = "cmd.exe /k " & engineFolder & "cscript.exe """ & WScript.ScriptFullName & """" & argString

Shell.Run scriptCommand, , False
WScript.Quit
Else
Exit Sub
End If
End Sub