Which of these phone home features can be disabled unattended and how?

Hi!

I'm just switching von Windows XP x64 to Windows 7 x64 and think about to create a DVD image for unattended installation which already contains some basic settings. In this context this article about "30+ Windows 7 Phone Home Features" came to my attention. And yes, I know, far from all features on this list are something to care about. But it gives a good idea of what information Windows 7 is doing online in background.

My question is which of these features can be disabled unattended (completely) and how - and again, I dont't think about "Activation" (1) - it's something like the "Installation Improvement Program" (11), "Windows Anytime Upgrade" (19) or to be asked whether to use the "Windows File Association Service" (22).

Because I'm still using Windows XP x64 I can't try tools like 7Customizer etc. But any advice or instruction this way is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance! :)

Well you don't really want to stop Activation from happening. If you do not activate, you are going to have some serious problems in the long run.

11. This is not enabled by default. It is an opt-in program, not an opt-out program.

19. Same thing. This only happens if you choose to use the program, and it only goes online because you can purchase an upgrade activation/product key online.

22. There is an option to go online to find a program the file can open, but it is not a default choice.

Most of these things are not default, ie they do not go online unless you tell them too. You may be able to control a lot of it with Local Security Policy by creating a template and then importing it during install.

Well you don't really want to stop Activation from happening. If you do not activate, you are going to have some serious problems in the long run.

Yep, at this point I just wanted to make clear that I'm not thinking about any paranoid settings. ;)

Most of these things are not default, ie they do not go online unless you tell them too. You may be able to control a lot of it with Local Security Policy by creating a template and then importing it during install.

Any references where I can find some information about these policies and how to import them during install?

Edited by Oisin

• 1 month later...

I think that a lot of these settings are also in the registry, but otherwise you'd have to use a FirstLogonCommands to run a program/cmd that imports the ADM Template with your settings.

After some days great thanks for this hint about ADM Templates, helped me a lot! :)