Kernelex with a VirtualBox 98se machine

Has anyone tried Kernelex with a virtual machine in VirtualBox? I'm wondering if one could get VirtualBox's Guest Additions to load and work with kex installed? Just looking for any prior experiences. Might save me hours and what few hairs I still have left on my head.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bpalone

Has anyone tried Kernelex with a virtual machine in VirtualBox?

I haven't, but I can tell something about Kernelex with a virtual machine in the latest Virtual PC. Guest Additions should be installed and removed only when KernelEx is uninstalled. When the KernelEx is installed, Guest Additions work OK, but are not detected correctly. Virtual PC reports them as not installed, though they function. Installing/uninstalling them with KernelEx installed can mess up the additions. Though this is not fatal, you can always uninstall KernelEx, then install/uninstall additions.

M()zart thanks for the reply.

I did mess with it a bit last night (for far to long) and did have minor success and minor failure. This was done with VB 2.2.xx (I know not the latest and greatest, but it ain't broke.) running in Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.x. Guest additions in VirtualBox are not supposed to run/work with 98. With Kex installed, it partially loaded, complained a couple times and completed the install.

The end result, was I still had a small screen (640x480), had USB support, couldn't get to files on the host, but could connect to the internet. So, it is close but no cigar. I guess I may have to check into dependency walker and step through the installation to see where/what is missing. I'll mess with it more later, but need to work so I can eat.

For those not familiar with VirtualBox, they state that it will run 98 but it is not supported with guest additions. It does run it and you have to install Rain to get the CPU to settle down due 98's not using the hlt command. If I can, or someone else can, figure out if it is even possible to get the guest additions to work with 98, then it may offer another place for 98 to continue an existence in the future when it may be almost impossible to find hardware that runs 98.

The end result, was I still had a small screen (640x480).

You might want to try your luck with SciTech Display Doctor 7.0 drivers or VBEMP. While I use VMware, I have much less issues and better performance with SciTech than with VMware drivers.

HTH

Xeno86, thanks for the lead on the video driver. I had thought of trying that, but you saved some leg work. It did work to enlarge the screen. So, now it is on to see where and what is missing. It will be a while before I get back to it, as I'm headed out of town for a few days. But, it isn't going anywhere, so I guess time is a bit on my side, for a change. Thanks again for the lead and your work on KernelEx.