BSOD

bookie32

Hi folks!

Been a while.....OK! I have a customer who couldn't get out on the Internet after a storm...he has ADSL for Internet. The first thing I checked was his modem and sure enough one of the lights wasn't working, so we went to our local computer store and bought a new modem.

But that wasn't the problem solved...I tried to connect up to the modem but no connection info from ipconfig...

I took a look at the back of the computer and no led's working on his inbuilt network ? OK! I find it hard to believe that the storm didn't take out the modem but managed to fry the network? Anyway, I have the computer at home and sure enough the bult in network isn't working....to top this the computer is really sluggish and now thowing BSOD's at me!!!

The full BSOD is as follows: 0x0000007E (0X8248371E,0X82C53B20,0X2C5381C)

At the moment I have it on mem test one module at a time to see if there is any faults in the memory. I am just wondering if it is worth buying a pci network card with the blue screen problems?

Has anyone any thoughts on this for me?

bookie32

The problem with a 0x7E bugcheck is that it's probably the most common bugcheck, and those numbers (and the data that was on the bugcheck blue screen) mean something - without them, all I can tell you is that you had a stop 0x7E bugcheck ;). If things were working before the storm and aren't afterwards, either the storm did do some electrical damage to the machine, or it's just a coincidence and the shutdown/reboot brought about something broken while the machine was last up that manifested itself after the reboot.

Of course I'd be testing the memory and stress-testing the system itself to see if there really is any damage, as a machine that was on in an electrical storm without any sort of heavy-duty UPS+surge protection from the outlet(s) it was plugged into can be suspect. If the bugchecks continue, make note of the codes - if they start to go all over the place, it's more likely to be bad hardware (assuming you do a clean reinstall of course), but if they stay on stop 0x7E, then that would more likely be a driver issue (and a .dmp file generated from the crashes would help pinpoint which).

Hi cluberti :thumbup

Thanks for dropping in...OK I hear you. I am in the middle of testing the memory at the moment and that, as you know, can take some time, but as soon as that is done I will set up Vista for minidumps and then put up some info on that as soon as I can.

Never really looked closely at minidump info, so will be grateful for some feedback on that when I post the info...

Thanks again!

bookie32