WMP 11

Hello, I have a really weird problem..... I need to download WMP11.

I use Windows 7, which can only install #11. I always use vlc, but now I find that there are certain webpages like hp that demand WMP, which I uninstalled, because it interferred in too many places.

I tried to download it from MS, but they tell me my Windows is no longer genuine.....

Is there a place other than MS, where I can download WMP11?

Thanks. HL

Win7 shipped with WMP12, so you won't be able to install WMP11 (Vista shipped with 11, and it was available as a redist package for XP). If you removed WMP from Win7 using vLite or similar, you should post there about how to get it back (although I'm fairly certain you can't get something back once you've removed it from the install with vLite).

Win7 shipped with WMP12, so you won't be able to install WMP11 (Vista shipped with 11, and it was available as a redist package for XP). If you removed WMP from Win7 using vLite or similar, you should post there about how to get it back (although I'm fairly certain you can't get something back once you've removed it from the install with vLite).

Thank you...

I did not install anything extra, I simply looked through 7 and sooner or later ended at a point where I could un-install it.

I was surprised myself, I had not known, that it would be possible.

So, there is no place on the internet where one can download WMP11 or even 12 other than at MS?

I did not install anything extra, I simply looked through 7 and sooner or later ended at a point where I could un-install it.
If you found the location inside the OS, then it was probably in the Turn Windows Features On and Off applet under Programs and Features in the Control Panel:

WinMediaPlayer_TurnFeaturesOnAndOff_Win7.png

This doesn't actually *uninstall* Windows Media Player, it just removes it's entry points and file handlers from the registry. If you were to re-enable this, you should get it back as it was before you removed it.

So, there is no place on the internet where one can download WMP11 or even 12 other than at MS?
Not legally, no.

Thank you, problem solved. I was checking in the right place, but (to me oiviously) under the name Windows Media Player, and not unter Media. The re-install worked, but all the file grabbing of WMP11 is also back... I will have to live with it...

Thank you, everybody. HL

Edited by cluberti
Please don't quote a large thread with images in it unless absolutely necessary - I've removed the quote so as to lessen the load on our bandwidth-limited users.