Installing IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe on Windows XP SP3

Nucleus

Is there a way to install the original Microsoft package of Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP SP3 through RunOnceEx.cmd?

I have tried to manually install it using /passive /update-no /norestart with no problems. But when I put the same commands in RunOnceEx.cmd I get this error

Error in C:\WINDOWS\system32\iedkcs32.dll

Missing entry: BrandIEActiveSetup

Any ideas?

Is there a way to install the original Microsoft package of Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP SP3 through RunOnceEx.cmd?

I have tried to manually install it using /passive /update-no /norestart with no problems. But when I put the same commands in RunOnceEx.cmd I get this error

Error in C:\WINDOWS\system32\iedkcs32.dll

Missing entry: BrandIEActiveSetup

Any ideas?

This and nLite

IE8 is failing to run the command rundll32 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\iedkcs32.dll",BrandIEActiveSetup SIGNUP because iedkcs32.dll isn't actually an IE8 version (at least in memory) until after the machine reboots, and the ActiveSetup data doesn't populate until either you finish logging in once, or IE8 finishes installing and the machine is rebooted. Note that if you've already logged in FULLY once and then try installing IE8 from RunOnceEx, it'll actually work (because the ActiveSetup keys in the registry will be populated and have valid data), but given that you're doing this on a clean install it will fail (I tested this to be sure - if you do a full logon, then reboot and do this via RunOnce, it works without error - you're still in need of a reboot because you're running a mixed IE6/IE8 browser configuration, but the branding via iedkcs32 works without error).

Thus, if you install from RunOnce with the /noreboot parameter from a fresh install, before the user has logged in, you've not only booted a system with mixed IE6 and IE8 binaries and reg entries, but you don't have a fully-populated ActiveSetup registry, and branding will fail - double-whammy. RunOnce is just not the place to install IE7 or IE8 (patches after install, yes, but not the browser itself, at least not without a reboot) from a new install - using one of the other methods that install IE8 during setup are the best way, like this one from svcpack.inf. It avoids this by avoiding the branding call failure (it doesn't appear to need to occur when installing using the above add-on due to where it's being run during setup), plus the system has technically "been rebooted" once, aka setup, so IE8 is fully installed when the system comes up for the first time.

IE8 is failing to run the command rundll32 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\iedkcs32.dll",BrandIEActiveSetup SIGNUP because iedkcs32.dll isn't actually an IE8 version (at least in memory) until after the machine reboots, and the ActiveSetup data doesn't populate until either you finish logging in once, or IE8 finishes installing and the machine is rebooted. Note that if you've already logged in FULLY once and then try installing IE8 from RunOnceEx, it'll actually work (because the ActiveSetup keys in the registry will be populated and have valid data), but given that you're doing this on a clean install it will fail (I tested this to be sure - if you do a full logon, then reboot and do this via RunOnce, it works without error - you're still in need of a reboot because you're running a mixed IE6/IE8 browser configuration, but the branding via iedkcs32 works without error).

Thus, if you install from RunOnce with the /noreboot parameter from a fresh install, before the user has logged in, you've not only booted a system with mixed IE6 and IE8 binaries and reg entries, but you don't have a fully-populated ActiveSetup registry, and branding will fail - double-whammy. RunOnce is just not the place to install IE7 or IE8 (patches after install, yes, but not the browser itself, at least not without a reboot) from a new install - using one of the other methods that install IE8 during setup are the best way, like this one from svcpack.inf. It avoids this by avoiding the branding call failure (it doesn't appear to need to occur when installing using the above add-on due to where it's being run during setup), plus the system has technically "been rebooted" once, aka setup, so IE8 is fully installed when the system comes up for the first time.

thank you for taking the time to explain. I will try your suggested method on monday and reply.