Active Setup without a UAC Prompt

yogger

In my current environment, I'm using active setup run scripts that create user specific registry settings and copy/create files. This has been working fine under xp, but with Windows 7, I'm constantly getting UAC prompts.

I need suggestions on either a better way to do something for users as they logon to a machine or to get past the UAC prompts.

Thank you

I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you're trying to do, but if Win-7 is already installed and you don't want to be bedeviled by UAC, simply turn it OFF.

That's the first thing I do when setting up a new PC with Windows 7 on it. (likewise Vista)

There is a neat little script to do that with no muss, no fuss. When you're job is done, you can always turn UAC back on, if that's your thing. The companion script to "Disable UAC" is "Enable UAC".

The "Disable UAC" script is easy to find on the internet.

I found it here.

http://www.box.net/shared/8d0155pk7y

Another script that I consider a must, is "Take Ownership" which allows you to become the "OWNER" of any folder or file, from the Right-Click context menu.

"Take Ownership" is the second thing I run on a new Win-7 setup.

I actually do a lot more, but those are the things that I think would help you the most in your Query.

good luck,

B)

Edited by Andromeda43

You could also easily achieve the same as the reg file from a simple command:

reg ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

However, if you're seeing UAC prompts, what exactly is ActiveSetup trying to change? A user-specific setting in their own profile's registry shouldn't cause a UAC prompt, nor should file and folder changes to most of their user profile. Is your ActiveSetup command or commands attempting to make changes outside the user's profile?