Help: Script to rename a computer and edit the registry.

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been to the forums for a while but I'm glad to be back. The forums looks to have change somewhat but I'm sure the people here are still friendly. :thumbup

Situation: After imaging the system with a ghost image... we don't know what the computer will be named until its tied to another bigger machine by the serial port...:lol: However, once that information is found, we have to manually rename the computer and join it to what-ever workgroup.

Problem: Can or does someone have a script that asks what the new computer name will be and also modifies the registry to reflect a change in a program? I will give more details on what needs to be changed in the registry in a little bit... after finding out more information.

For now, I want to learn to create/or have a script that we can use in the initial deployment once its coupled to some other thing.

What should happen is that as we run this script or program.... it ask's

- What do you want the computer name?

We then type in "PC-100"

- What do you want the registry key changed to?

We then type in "100"

- Thanks for the information, please reboot to take effect.

We then press OK.

Shouldn't be too hard... Once I've figured out what needs to be changed in the registry, I'll post back.

I found what needs to be altered in the registry. HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/PROGRAM/ID

Type is REG_SZ

Data contains regular characters.....

I can edit the script to reflect the "program" and "id".

Thanks in advance.

Change Computer name to: "Computer-(4 Random Numbers)" ->

WMIC ComputerSystem where Name="%ComputerName%" CALL RENAME Name="Computer-%RANDOM:~-4%"

Change Computers Domain or Workgroup ->

WMIC ComputerSystem where Name="%ComputerName%" CALL JoinDomainOrWorkgroup Name="WORKGROUP"
Edited by Outbreaker

Doesn't matter... as-long semi technical people can understand, input 2 or 3 characters, and the script handles the rest.

I completed a little script earlier today so I'm off to test it.

Edited by Samio866