windows 7 network share issue

hey all.

my set up is as follows

compaq laptop - windows 7 ultimuate, dynamic ipaddress Lapptop name is USER-PC, shared d:\ with full admin rights user name is USER

sony laptop - windows 7 ultimuate, dynamic ipaddress Lapptop name is PAULPAGE-PC shared d:\ with full admin rights user name is Paul

on both laptops the have an account called user and an account called Paul with same passwords on

throuble is i can accsess the compaq laptop share on the sony laptop wilst on the account called USER but not when logged in with the account called Paul. but it is all the same passwords

any help why i cant seem to do this?

PAul

First, sharing best practices is to create groups, not share directly with users. However, if you're using Win7 Home Premium you may not have any other options - best bet would be to create a share using the Advanced sharing button on the share tab, and make sure that both users have the correct sharing access from that window. Also, on the security tab, make sure both users have at least "read & execute" access to the physical folder being shared as well.

It is also worth noting that if you've created a homegroup, the homegroup permissions ALWAYS override specific sharing permissions, so you might want to check that as well.

Lastly, assuming you simply get access denied or your credentials for Paul are rejected after entry in the windows security box by the compaq laptop, it would be worth looking at a network trace to see what exactly is happening in the auth challenge handshake between the sony laptop as user paul and the compaq laptop when attempting to open a share as that user.

First, sharing best practices is to create groups, not share directly with users. However, if you're using Win7 Home Premium you may not have any other options - best bet would be to create a share using the Advanced sharing button on the share tab, and make sure that both users have the correct sharing access from that window. Also, on the security tab, make sure both users have at least "read & execute" access to the physical folder being shared as well.

It is also worth noting that if you've created a homegroup, the homegroup permissions ALWAYS override specific sharing permissions, so you might want to check that as well.

Lastly, assuming you simply get access denied or your credentials for Paul are rejected after entry in the windows security box by the compaq laptop, it would be worth looking at a network trace to see what exactly is happening in the auth challenge handshake between the sony laptop as user paul and the compaq laptop when attempting to open a share as that user.

hi thanks for your reply, i have checked att the security things and both users have "read & execute" accessto the phisical dolder ( in this case the root of D:\ , i am not using homegroup and it doesnt share everything like programs ect. i get an accsess denined error

If it's access denied, then it's highly likely that the passwords don't match, or the keyring on one machine has stored an incorrect password. I'd try removing and re-creating the non-working account on both machines and try again.