Unofficial updates - Will they continue ?

Stuckin98

I would like to know if the Win98 (se for me) unofficial updates, is an

ongoing project or is it falling by the wayside? If the updates will continue,

where is the download site now?

I would also like to see some explanation of what the files are for. Last:

I'm still on a very slow rural dial up, but will probably be able to afford

wireless broadband this summer. Will there (or are there) be any connectivity

files available for that ? It appears that wireless broadband requires Win 2000

or better. Must be a way to squeek around that one ..... whoever you are, I know

you can do it :sneaky:

Edited by Stuckin98

Guest wsxedcrfv

There are routers with USB interface where you can plug in an ISP's USB wireless broadband USB modem. Example:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/3GMobileBroadband/MBR624GU.aspx

All you need to do is plug the ethernet cable from your win-98 machine into this router and you've got a wireless 3G internet connection, and you've got a wireless "hot-spot" for other devices (if you want). Some of these routers can be had for $100, and the USB modem for about $20. 3G plan is, naturally, extra.

You would only use this if you live in an area that is not served by conventional ADSL or cable TV.

I would like to know if the Win98 (se for me) unofficial updates, is an

ongoing project or is it falling by the wayside? If the updates will continue,

where is the download site now?

I would also like to see some explanation of what the files are for. Last:

I'm still on a very slow rural dial up, but will probably be able to afford

wireless broadband this summer. Will there (or are there) be any connectivity

files available for that ? It appears that wireless broadband requires Win 2000

or better. Must be a way to squeek around that one ..... whoever you are, I know

you can do it

Unofficial updates are still being updated with up-to-date files. [used "update" toooo many times ;)]

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

which points to this page:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

Today's [May 14 2010] update is here:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php#051410

A complete list is here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm

If you know of other 98/98SE/ME updates/fixes/projects/packages/etc actively maintained [and not mentioned above], please PM me so I can add them to the list.

I can also mirror whatever project files at my site.

Thanks.

HTH

• 7 months later...

My old CD burner is pooping out, so I bought a new CD-DVD burner and had to return it, because it wouldn't work correctly. I assume this is because of the firmware in the drive. Would someone please suggest some new burners that would work with 98se. Thanks :)

My old CD burner is pooping out, so I bought a new CD-DVD burner and had to return it, because it wouldn't work correctly. I assume this is because of the firmware in the drive. Would someone please suggest some new burners that would work with 98se. Thanks :)
? Irrelevant (I think...). I have dual-boot with a Lite-On DL DVD (no LiteScribe) seems to work fine. But... maybe because I have 98SE with all the patches (official/unofficial) via AutoPatcher 98SE (see MDGx' post/website)? :unsure:

? Irrelevant (I think...). I have dual-boot with a Lite-On DL DVD (no LiteScribe) seems to work fine. But... maybe because I have 98SE with all the patches (official/unofficial) via AutoPatcher 98SE (see MDGx' post/website)? :unsure:

But there is no step by information about auto pacth or which is firstly install & then Secondly & go on.... for Hassle free running 98SE More than 1 GB Ram.

But there is no step by information about auto pacth or which is firstly install & then Secondly & go on.... for Hassle free running 98SE More than 1 GB Ram.
??? Install it, look in the BAT files to see the sequence of installs and reboots. Everything is there! :blink: Just be aware you must understand BAT coding. In the case of GT-1GB RAM, this may be a separate issue that would need to be addressed (don't remember). Look in the Stickies and do a little reading, particularly that single GT 1GiB thread...

BTW, AutoPatcher topic still exists (a long read) and no particular info was given for the "how it's done"; it assumes knowledge of BAT files (an entirely different subject).