[SOLVED] Can't install Windows 7 on Aspire One via USB drive anymo

mckickflip

My old Acer Aspire One is very temperamental, but recently I haven't been able to get Windows 7 installer to even load all the way from a USB drive. I know it's possible because I've done it plenty of times before on this same machine. The only difference I've made to the computer is replacing the stock Atheros wireless card with an Intel Pro Wifi 3945 card.

I'm mainly a Linux person, so a few months ago I noticed most Linux installers refused to boot off a USB drive unless I turned off ACPI. Is there any sort of equivalent of doing that for windows? I usually make it to where it says "Setup is starting" before the computer freezes, however I've made to to the point where it says "Extracting System Files (0%)...". I've updated the BIOS and made sure nothing is loose internally. I'm out of ideas, what else should I do?

Edit: Windows Server 2003 seems to have successfully installed.

Edited by mckickflip

My old Acer Aspire One is very temperamental, but recently I haven't been able to get Windows 7 installer to even load all the way from a USB drive. I know it's possible because I've done it plenty of times before on this same machine. The only difference I've made to the computer is replacing the stock Atheros wireless card with an Intel Pro Wifi 3945 card.

I'm mainly a Linux person, so a few months ago I noticed most Linux installers refused to boot off a USB drive unless I turned off ACPI. Is there any sort of equivalent of doing that for windows? I usually make it to where it says "Setup is starting" before the computer freezes, however I've made to to the point where it says "Extracting System Files (0%)...". I've updated the BIOS and made sure nothing is loose internally. I'm out of ideas, what else should I do?

Edit: Windows Server 2003 seems to have successfully installed.

Solved. I had a suspicion one of the components came loose, so I punched the bottom of the computer, and the Windows 7 install went swimmingly.