Media player issues in XP

morland

I am using XP Pro SP3 and have Windows Media Player. I also have klite's cull codec pack installed but am facing problems with some of the files:

1) .QT files: Nothing happens when I click and looks like the association for .QT somehow has vanished from the registry. How can I fix this?

2) .MPG files: Some files play while few give the sound but show a black screen. However if I play the same files in Media Player Classic, the video and sound shows just fine

3) .FLV files: I can play these files in Media Player Classic but when I double click on these files a dialog box pops up saying:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Related information that might be useful:

1) I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed. Is there a newer version out there that I should download and install?

2) In the options for WMP I have ticked yes to the check box for Download codes automatically. Do I really need to do this? I doubt if MSFT release new codecs. Right? If so, then I can remove this check.

I have tried to use the Klite Quick Codec Config utility many times and after a lot of trial and error have been able to get the best case scenario described above. Thanks for your help in solving the problem

Edited by morland

I would install lastest ffdshow and haali mediaspliter. It should do the job for almost all codecs but you might other components for flv playback. I would also install mediainfo so you can know what you need (codecs and container) for which file.

Thanks allen2. Appreciate your reply. However I just looked and klite's full codec pack already has ffdshow and haali mediaspliter. It seems like I am missing some configuration or doing something wrong... it seems that all i need is to just configure the klite thing properly and then everything will be solved. So can someone help me here please.

(Kantaris.org) - Kantaris is a full media player built on VLC (so it plays near everything) with last.fm also snapped in. Even if you dont like it maybe it will have been kind enough to install the codecs you are lacking.

Edited by iamtheky

(Kantaris.org) - Kantaris is a full media player built on VLC (so it plays near everything) with last.fm also snapped in. Even if you dont like it maybe it will have been kind enough to install the codecs you are lacking.

Hi iamtheky

Haven't tried it yet but did visit Kantaris.org and have to say that it's looks really impressive. I might end up using it but my little experience with freeware/opensource (though I don't really know what opensource is all about) is that 99% of the freeware sites try to keep tracing your IP's and place a good amount of tracing cookies on your puter. Actually I am quoting a friend here who has a lot more knowledge about these IT related things so that's what his opinion is... But having said so, I guess almost all do that. Right?

Again thanks for sharing the link for Kantaris.org. It does look like a awesome product.

Regards.

Hi All,

Just realized that there is 1 question that no one answered and thus will request your reply/suggestion.

As I shared in my original post, I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed. Does it makes any difference (especially when viewing videos) if I download and install the latest version of Direct X (just a reminder that I am using XP SP3 Pro).

Will appreciate reply and also the link from where I can download the latest version of DirectX for XP (with the assumption that you recommend that i upgrade to the latest Direct X version)

Thanks.

Tell your IT friend to take off the tinfoil hat.

There's no need to update DirectX.

:lol: I;ll do that :) and thanks for the suggestion about sticking with my current version of DirectX.