nLite & new updates

alexFX

Hello. I have recently tried to make an unattended windows XP CD using nLite and the new updates from Microsoft but i think some of the updates where not installed. Does anybody knows if nLite works with new updates or if i should use some other program?

Please attach (not paste) the LastSession.ini and tell us which updates you think were not installed. At the same time, if you have already installed from the CD, use Windows Update and see if it is really so.

When i open add or remove programs only few updates are there, also update "msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe" is not installed. I have tested the unattended install with virtual box. Also if i remove windows installation cd and i click on "add/remove windows components" an error window is shown but if the windows installation cd is mounted "add/remove windows components" open normally. Do you think i have done something wrong?

Last Session.ini

When i open add or remove programs only few updates are there, also update "msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe" is not installed. I have tested the unattended install with virtual box. Also if i remove windows installation cd and i click on "add/remove windows components" an error window is shown but if the windows installation cd is mounted "add/remove windows components" open normally. Do you think i have done something wrong?

alexFX, updates that are integrated (slipstreamed) with nLite will not show up under Add/Remove (and you cannot remove them). This is why Sp0iLedBrAt suggested you go to Windows Update and see what it wants to DL. There is a utility called qfecheck that also will tell you. Please search for qfecheck (Google or whatever), DL and run it. I have both msxml4 and 6 installed on my system (XP x64) (via nLite) and neither show in qfecheck but they do show in Add/Remove. When Add/Remove does not work without the CD, then yes something is wrong. Please post a screen shot of the error and translate into English if it is in Greek. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? It should always be run against a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and only once. I see IE8 updates but no installer for IE8. This is a real problem. You need an AddOn for IE8 and it needs to be included in the list before its updates. Enjoy, John.

Yes you are wright, i didn't know that the slipstream updates are not listed in add and remove programs. my mistake. I used qfecheck and everything seams to be ok. I have attached a screen shot of the error.

it says " The installation program can not open the information file

d:\.......

communicate win the administrator of your system. the code of this error is 0x3 in line 0 "

I have used Silent .NET Maker to pre install .NET framework. Do you think this is the problem?

also Internet explorer 8 is installed correctly. I used a cab file i found on the Internet and slipstreamed with nLite.

Have you got any idea where the problem is?

post-241784-127292074969_thumb.jpg

This is a problem with the .NET Framework; a possible mis-configuration maybe? If you still have the .exe file created by the Silent .NET Maker, right-click it, open it with 7-Zip and check if the .inf file that shows up in the error is inside. Also, any chance you can attach _SNMsynth.ini ?

alexFX, I would suggest you start over with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, use nothing but nLite to process it. Either use an IE8 AddOn or remove the IE updates. I know nothing about Silent .NET Maker, but am very hesitant to use anything other nLite on my source (and I don't, except for WMP11 Slipstreamer which is integrated into nLite). Here is another Greek user who has been down some of your same paths. What are ADAMSP1MUI_x86.exe and ROEXPDNF11SP1en20SP2en30SP2en35SP1en.7z? Please leave them out of your experiment and let us know how it turns out. Enjoy, John.

ROE (RunOnceEx) XP (OS) DNF (.NET Framework)11SP1en 20SP2en 30SP2en 35SP1en .7z is the version the Silent .NET Maker produces. I only make a SVCPACK add-on for .NET 2.0SP2, but alexFX has combined them all into one package. I'm pretty sure that if he opens the .7z file and extracts the .exe from inside, he can run it from RunOnce without problems or silent switches.