Problem with nic driver on my boot.wim

I have new lenovo x201 and t410 models that fails loading nic driver when booting on my wds boot.wim.

I have successfully loading the needed inf files with imagex and peimg.

Now with updated boot.wim I got;

" WdsClient: An error occurred while starting networking: there was a failure while installing the network card driver for your machine. Please contact your Administrator " from WDS.

Here is what the setupapi.app.log says;

[DIG_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&SUBSYS_215317AA&REV_06\3&B1BFB68&0&0&C8]

Section start 2010/04/28 06:51:09.196

cmd: X:\Sources\setup.exe

!!! dvi: Loading module 'X:\Windows\system32\wlaninst.dll' failed.

!!! dvi: Error 126: The specified module could not be found.

!!! dvi: Error 126: loading CoInstaller (wlaninst.dll,WlanDeviceClassCoInstaller)

!!! dvi: Loading module 'X:\WINDOWS\system32\wwaninst.dll' failed.

!!! dvi: Error 126 loading CoInstaller (wwaninst.dll ,WwanDeviceClassCoInstaller)

<<< Section end 2010/04/28 06:51:09.228

<<< [Exit status: SUCCESS]

Dumb question, does the default boot.wim that WDS creates even support Wireless, or is lack of wireless support in boot.wim the cause ? i.e. missing wlaninst.dll

Can you elaborate if you are booting the boot.wim locally (CD/USB) or via PXE. Normally laptops cannot PXE over their Wireless so my guess you are using sneaker-net (USB). Can you try it with an RJ-45 connected, maybe it will default to the wired nic drivers.

Failing that, what I would do is use WDS to create another boot.wim (clean no drivers), then integrate all the drivers except the wireless nic(s) and see if that doesn't solve the problem. (thinking is that if no driver is found, it does not cause error)

Edited by MrJinje

Dumb question, does the default boot.wim that WDS creates even support Wireless, or is lack of wireless support in boot.wim the cause ? i.e. missing wlaninst.dll

Can you elaborate if you are booting the boot.wim locally (CD/USB) or via PXE. Normally laptops cannot PXE over their Wireless so my guess you are using sneaker-net (USB). Can you try it with an RJ-45 ?

Which version of WDS are you running, W2K8, or W2K8-R2. They use different version of PE for their boot.wim.

Yes, that is confusing. I'm booting with PXE over ethernet. Works fine on all my older lenovo models and dell etc.

I'm running WDS on W2K8.

Yes, that is confusing. I'm booting with PXE over ethernet. Works fine on all my older lenovo models and dell etc.

I'm running WDS on W2K8.

Gotcha, was editing my message while you were replying, here is the easiest thing to try.

What I would do is use WDS to create another boot.wim (clean no drivers), then integrate all the drivers except the wireless nic(s) and see if that doesn't solve the problem. (thinking is that if no driver is found, it does not cause error). Which is pretty much what arwidmark is saying.

Edited by MrJinje

I'm running WDS on W2K8.

Gotcha, was editing my message while you were replying, here is the easiest thing to try.

What I would do is use WDS to create another boot.wim (clean no drivers), then integrate all the drivers except the wireless nic(s) and see if that doesn't solve the problem. (thinking is that if no driver is found, it does not cause error). Which is pretty much what arwidmark is saying.

I'll try that. I assume it's the 32bit inf files that I need?

It's a Intel 82577LM Gigabit NIC.

Edit:

Strange, same error in setupapi.app with new fresh boot.wim with e1k6332.inf installed.

Edited by zeezam

Another method is to mount your boot.wim image and then Run the get-drivers command, search those results for your wlan driver + the other one, they will be named OEM**.inf, modify the Remove-driver command to match each offending driver.

Dism /image:D:\Mount /Get-Drivers

Dism /Image:D:\Mount /Remove-Driver /Driver:OEM1.inf /Driver:OEM2.inf

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355%28WS.10%29.aspx

What device is that driver for, I would suggest only using the bare minimum of drivers for the boot.wim, maybe the ethernet, SATA drivers if required. But nothing else.

Edited by MrJinje

Another method is to mount your boot.wim image and then Run the get-drivers command, search those results for your wlan driver + the other one, they will be named OEM**.inf, modify the Remove-driver command to match each offending driver.

Dism /image:D:\Mount /Get-Drivers

Dism /Image:D:\Mount /Remove-Driver /Driver:OEM1.inf /Driver:OEM2.inf

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355%28WS.10%29.aspx

What device is that driver for, I would suggest only using the bare minimum of drivers for the boot.wim, maybe the ethernet, SATA drivers if required. But nothing else.

Ok. I think maybe I extract the wrong inf files.

Now I tried with the inf files from this setup - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713〈=eng

Same error in WDS but no info in the setupapi.app.

That tech article are explaining using install.wim. Isn't it boot.wim I should use?

Anyone having a working boot.wim for lenovo t410 and x201 models that I can download from somewhere?

Edited by zeezam

Do not import any wireless drivers into the boot image... only "real" network card drivers, and make sure to use Windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers for the boot image.

I added the inf files from this setup.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74429

Not sure if you are using MDT2010 or what, but I was having the same difficulties:

Started the Deployment Workbench, Drilled down into Deployment Shares, My Deployment Share, Out-of-box Drivers, WinPE Driver, Imported the above driver after download and extraction.

Updated the Deployment Share (Forced Regeneration).

Started Windows Deployment Services

Drilled down into Servers, My Deployment Server, Boot Images, Add Boot Image, browse to your WIM that was generated above (Mine is named litetouchPE_x86.wim)

Next, Next, Finish (You can name it if you want). When you PXE boot you will a have menu option showing your old build and the new one you just created in WDS. You can disable the old one if you want after it works, or delete.

It got me past the error, but Windows is not starting properly further in, I may be including too many drivers from Lenovo. I'm going to reduce the driver set and see if I have any better luck.

Edited by Sinistrality

I'll try to inject the driver with DISM. Thanks for info.

I'm not using MDT, I'm using WDS. In W2K8 R2 you can add drivers directly to the WDS server;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd348456%28WS.10%29.aspx

Edit;

Is it this tool that you mean?

It's to the install.wim. Isn't it to my boot.wim I want to add the drivers?

I got the error when try to boot on my boot.wim...

Edited by zeezam

Putting drivers in the BOOT.WIM is for installation only. Put drivers in INSTALL.WIM if you want them to be installed in Device Manager. If you use your BOOT.WIM over a network, you need to put the NIC drivers in it, if you are not (like a custom DVD) you don't have to put in the NIC driver. If you look at the unattend.xml file, there are 2 main stages. The WindowsPE passes are the install portion, like formatting the drive and copying the image onto the drive. After that phase is done (all the stuff is copied), then it boots up and does the install from the hard drive. The same basic process was in XP as well it just looks a bit different now. You remember when you install XP, it copies everything off the CD to the hard drive, then it reboots and does not use the CD anymore, it uses the files on the hard drive. Its the same principle

use DISM to inject e1k6232.inf. I found it in this driver package:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2530&DwnldID=18388〈=eng

Yes I know this is for Intel Server boards. That HwID is in that INF.

I got No driver package were found when trying with dism /image:"C:\mount" /add-driver /driver:"C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ETHERNET\PRO1000\Win32\NDI62\elk6232.inf"

After trying again I succeeded with adding the drivers. Finaly I can boot with my new lenovo models.

Thanks for helping me out!

Edited by zeezam

• 1 year later...

Zeezam,

I would like some more information on how you resolved your issue. I am experiencing the same exact error message, when trying to deploy an image down to my MSI GT638R laptop. The image is Windows 7 Home Premium and I only have Win7 32/64 bit drivers that are downloadable from the vendor web site.

However, neither of these driver sets "wpeutil InitializeNetwork" successfully and obtain and IP Address from my DHCP server. I googled drivers and found some standard RealTek PCIe Windows Vista drivers off the RealTek web site that appeared to have initialized and grabbed an IP address, however, when I inject these drivers into my boot.wim, I still continue to receive the same error.

I am stomped and would like your assistance, since you were able to resolve the issue. Can you contact me via e-mail at xxx to troubleshoot more with what you were successful with?

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Tripredacus
removed email address