Vlite and Windows 7 OEM discs...they don't like each other.

Bilar Crais

Hello:

I purchased an OEM kit from NewEgg this past week, Windows x64 Home Premium. I've tried applying my tried and true preset to the OEM disk, but Vlite "couldn't find the specified file" during processing. Alright I thought, maybe Home doesn't have Bit Locker, I'll untick that option and try it again. This time it completed, I burned the disk, but the Windows installation failed at the very end. I protected all of the usual suspects, wer.dll, etc., but nothing doing. Is there something else I should be aware of here? Has anyone else tried to vLite an OEM disc?

Thank you,

C

Is there something else I should be aware of here?

Yes. :whistle:

vLite Forum Rules

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

I gave it a once over using the "keep list", but didn't see anything, maybe your eyes will see something I missed.

Thank you. I tried RT7 Lite as well and used Ben's suggested settings - it bombed out as well towards the end of the install. The OEM disks must be different in some critical way. At the very least, I was able to apply updates and drivers with DismTool and prepare a disk that way. http://www.msfn.org/board/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif

Edited by Bilar Crais

I gave it a once over using the "keep list", but didn't see anything, maybe your eyes will see something I missed.

Thank you. I tried RT7 Lite as well and used Ben's suggested settings - it bombed out as well towards the end of the install. The OEM disks must be different in some critical way. At the very least, I was able to apply updates and drivers with DismTool and prepare a disk that way.

• 1 month later...

There is virtually NO difference between an OEM disc and a retail disc of windows 7. Infact the ONLY difference at all is the single variable in the ei.cfg that says OEM or RETAIL for the "channel". The one difference I've seen where this needs to be changed is if you want to use an upgrade key, you have to use a retail install, oem install wont accept an upgrade key (i'm guessing because upgrade is retail only, theres no such thing as an oem upgrade).

that is the ONLY difference, other than that the files are all identical.