XP Pro backup not accessible

hopeful

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am using XP Prof SP3 and was an original XP Pro user so my installation disk on the machine that has the problem just says MS Windows XP Prof (no SP on label). Computer is from 2001 so SP3 was via an update from MS.

Last week the system backup feature stopped working. It is there and when I shut down windows tries to end the backup program if I tried to access it (start, accessories, system, backup) or by using the run or a dos command. But I just cannot get it to open, so I think it has been corrupted in some way.

That is how I got to this forum. I could not run a sfc scannow with my old installation disk since I had SP3 on my machine. Via google I saw a lot about nlite and thought I would try it by downloading MS SP3 on my c drive, copying over my installation disk into a folder, slipstreaming using the downloaded nLite and all went well except that the cd (cd-r) created (formatted via Roxio 5 basic) just did not boot. When i click it comes up in a Roxio format for recordable cds and there may be something I can do at that point to make it bootable but I do not know what. I use the copy or drag feature for data and text files etc. not for recording music etc. I am sure there must be a way to fix it but after many hours I gave up. Moreover when I tried to reinsert my original installation cd to redo the entire process in case there was a slip anywhere (there were no errors given however), it would not boot up. I got scared and did a system restore so at least now I still only have the original no backup problem to contend with as far as I can tell. Original installation cd back to working ok.

My first queries are: Should I have used an earlier version of nLite to create the SP3 boot disk for this machine? Is it that the newer versions are more geared to vista and 7 than XP? Or is there a way to 'fix' the bootable cd so it works like an SP3 installation cd? If so then I can use it to run a sfc scannow.

My second question is this. I have a little over a year old laptop which came with XP Pro SP3 on it and I have an installation disk for that. Can I use that on my older machine to do a sfc scannow or will that cause problems. Both machines are via Dell. I am not sure how specific the cds are to the machines -with all the updates we get I would think it should be okay but wanted to check if anyone knew since I do not want to cause more problems than I already have.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I use the copy or drag feature for data and text files etc. not for recording music etc.

There is a specific forum for nLite qurstions (see the big red announcement up your screen ?) but your question goes further than that.

You should have nLite to create an ISO file and burn it AS IMAGE, not drop the files on the CD like you seem to have done.

+Your other Dell SP3 disc should do the trick as well.

Maybe the original problem comes from from ther fact that SP3 must only be applied to a system running Win XP SP1a or later, I'm not sure it would let you install on earlier (no SP) system.

Also as you ask, nLite (all versions) is only for XP, Win2k and Win Server2003, an other program was written for Vista; vLite.

Thank you for your quick and informative response.

I was going to put query in nLite forum but did have other queries related to the main issue--running a sfc scannow so opted for XP.

In task selection I specified service pack and also the cd as the place to burn the bootable ISO disk when asked, so it may be that my original installation disk is too old for creating a bootable disk in nLite. The process went ok to a point as far as I can tell since the folder with the old files came up as an SP3 installation folder after the process--I just could not get a bootable cd. When it did not boot, I clicked on it and it opens up as a Roxio type folder. I may try putting this in the nLite folder since at some point it would be good, if at all possible to get a bootable cd with SP3.

Will insert my new SP3 disk in the old machine and try to do an sfc scannow using it.

In task selection I specified service pack and also the cd as the place to burn the bootable ISO disk when asked

This is a bit confusing. In "Task Selection", you needed to tick 1st and last options. Now the SP is integrated, you could run nLite with only LAST OPTION selected and give a file name to your ISO file. The ISO file might be what you refer as the "Roxio type folder", I'm not sure (you meant "file", right ?). That ISO file should be burned (possibly with Roxio) using the method "burn image to CD" or "write CD from image" as opposed to "Data CD" or "Music CD" or whatever other options you might get.

I did choose the first and last options as well as burn to CD. Nothing you mention worked for my setup. I was able to create an installation cd with SP3 integrated using instructions I got from another site. It works well. Finding this msfn site helped since it alerted me to the fact that this was possible and I now have a working installation cd. Thanks for your help.