Can a theme be applied with some autoit script?

nice_guy75

Hi guys,

I am trying to apply a custom theme as default theme, I tried some ready made answer files but not working for me. So I thought can I do the same with some Autoit script?

If yes please write a script for me which can apply a theme named "simplicity.theme" and then close the personalization window as well.

Well, you could just run this reg at first login, then schedule a reboot immediately afterward (or at least a log-off). It won't take effect until the next login.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization]

"ThemeFile"="C:\\Windows\\Resources\\Themes\\SIMPLICITY.theme"

I'm sure it can be done with auto-it, but for that much effort, I'd rather not have to deal with slow moving GUI. I would rather edit the Default Profile (inside install.wim) to make the change permanent and seamless. This way it is already applied before the first login.

Mount\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT

Edited by MrJinje

Thanks for your reply, now regarding editing default profile in the install.wim, I don't know how to do that but yes I did try with an answer file but didn't work for me. So I thought Autoit can also do it. Now as you have told me about this registry I would try this as well. But I would also like to know about editing in default

I would try this from setupcomplete.cmd

REM Load the default profile hive

REG LOAD HKU\Hive C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT

REM Configure the default user profile

REG ADD "HKU\Hive\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization" /v ThemeFile /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\SIMPLICITY.theme" /f

REM Unload the default profile hive

REG UNLOAD HKU\Hive

Expanded theory is discussed here.

This should edit the NTUSER.DAT immediately before the first login, meaning it should apply when the new user is created (during the autounattend)