SBS 2008 Backup

athome

Hello,

In the past, I have developed a backup solution on SBS and Server 2003 to use two identical external harddrives. I had the customer switch out the harddrives every Monday and therefore would be covered in the event of catastrophic failure. In SBS 2008, the drives are recognized as two separate drives and cannot use my method as of this date. Can anyone shed a light on how I can continue to use this procedure in 2008 (maybe created a pool?). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Athome

MCP MCDST SCA MCSA

How about use a RAID controller and store them in a RAID1 for redundancy, and use the Windows backup tool to backup to an external network location, or at the very least another drive in the server? The way it's being done will not work with Server 2008, and this was documented on the web some time ago.

How about use a RAID controller and store them in a RAID1 for redundancy, and use the Windows backup tool to backup to an external network location, or at the very least another drive in the server? The way it's being done will not work with Server 2008, and this was documented on the web some time ago.

Well, Actually, that article states that I can use multiple external drives in a rotation for backing up. Which is what I have.

[/indent
]"...performance reasons), while previous versions are moved out to another location with meta data to link it to the backup version. The above example works the same for multiple disk rotation. It will only transfer the blocks since the last rotation. Now let’s ..."

[/indent
]"...You can use multiple external storage drives for backups, and you can rotate the drives between onsite and offsite storage locations. This can improve your disaster preparedness planning by helping you recover your data if physical damage occurs to the hardware onsite..."

Any other ideas?

Are you using Windows backup, or something else? Also, did you use diskpart on the SBS server to clean, format, and partition the drives under the SBS install, or something else?

This is a Dell with SBS 2008 installed. I am using SBS 2008 backup to manage. I have two identical external FreeAgent 500GB Drives connect via USB with a cradle.

Using externel drives at the very least you should be using Windows Backup to get the System State Data (this will get the registry, AD database and other system related files). Windows Backup will also get any data from file shares. If you're using SQL Server it has a built-in backup function and you can have it automatically put the files on the external rig.

Windows Backup in Server 2008 and 2008 R2 is quite a bit different from what you were used to with Server 2003.

Please understand that I am having an issue with Backup. I am using Windows 2008 Backup with 2 identical FreeAgentGo Harddrives with the same name connected via a USB cradle. The backukp fails when the second Harddrive is connected. The error states that the first drive is not connected. I have reformatted and began a new backup with the same results. I am sure I must be missing something so simple, I just cannot see it.

Wait, I just found a possible solution. I will try and get back.

You'll need to create a separate backup schedule for the second drive...even though you're backing up the same information. Windows Backup in Server 2008 detects the differences in the destination. Even though the drives are named the same, they have a different serial number and Windows Backup sees that.

You'll need to create a separate backup schedule for the second drive...even though you're backing up the same information. Windows Backup in Server 2008 detects the differences in the destination. Even though the drives are named the same, they have a different serial number and Windows Backup sees that.

Actually, not true. It was in the the pool settings as I had thought. I added the second drive to the pool and now Windows will backup to both drives as I needed. Thanks for your comments and help.