Restarting after conecting the Hard drive

Hi all,

I have 2.5 inch hard drive which I connect with IDE to SATA adaptor to the usb.

Immediately after the connecting, the computer give a blue screen 0X0000000A and restart it self.

The hard drive is out of it's case.

How can I prevent the restarting and recover the data from that drive?

I tried different computers and it restarts them all.

Any suggestion?

Many Thanks!

I've seen this on one of my drive and the solution was booting from on systemrescuecd and use it to resize (i shrinked it a little) the ntfs partition on it. Then I checked it with chkdsk with a windows and i could recover all my datas.

Edited by allen2

I've seen this on one of my drive and the solution was booting from on systemrescuecd and use it to resize (i shrinked it a little) the ntfs partition on it. Then I checked it with chkdsk with a windows and i could recover all my datas.

Hi,

Thanks for the ansewr, but unfortunately it happend also when I try to boot in safe mode.

Any other suggestions?

SystemrescueCD is a linux recovery CD. It shouldn't crash when you plug the usb drive. That's why i used this step as my first after after trying all kind of windows based solutions. When you resize the drive with systemrescuecd, it mark the ntfs partition as dirty to force chkdsk next time windows try to mount it. I think that was part of the solution.

Just a guess; Are we using an Intel chipset USB controller? A i845 or some kind? If yes, than it would be a problem with not enough power from the USB HUB (inside the chipset), on HP and DELL it will smoke, Gigabyte did it smarter and shows a "overload" warning. I guess some just crash.

I succeeded to image the data to another disk which I am sure that it is without any hardware problems.

But after the image, the "new" disk cause to restarts exactly as the first one did.

It's tell me that it is a logic problem.

How do I fix that?

Many Thanks!

As i already told you it's an nfts problem and you won't be able to do a chkdsk from windows as it will reboot when you plug the drive. You need to boot with a linux Os like System Rescue CD with ntfs support (to see your datas) it might be able to mount the volume. And if you want to fix the partition, you'll need to resize it with linux.

As i already told you it's an nfts problem and you won't be able to do a chkdsk from windows as it will reboot when you plug the drive. You need to boot with a linux Os like System Rescue CD with ntfs support (to see your datas) it might be able to mount the volume. And if you want to fix the partition, you'll need to resize it with linux.

Hi allen2 thank you for the informative and usefull answer! :)

I've downloaded the systemrescuecd.

How do I use that software for the repairing?

What are the commands which I have to do?

I typed wizard and chose the first option and get a grapic mode.

What do I do now?

Many Thanks!

Here are the steps:

- Remove the usb drive

- Boot from SystemrescueCD

- plug the usb drive

- type

dmesg

to check the name of the device (should be /dev/sdb) if you're unfamillair with linux.

- you should see something like the png identify drive and partition

- The third from the bottom contains the info the drive is name sdb and has 1 only sdb1 as partition in this example.

- now you could try :

ntfsfix /dev/sdb1 

- if it doesn't work, that was the case with my drive, you'll need to reduce a little the size of the drive with the command ntfsresize:

ntfsresize -s 16000M /dev/sdb1 

for example with this drive. Use a size for partition so it will reduce it only of 8MB or a little more. add the -b -f option if needed (if there are bad sector (-B) and errors (-f)).

- then reboot on windows with the usb drive plugged. It should ask to skip checking the drive during boot. DO NOT SKIP the check!!!! Then it might reboot (it shouldn't do it but sometimes it will) and now your partition should work like charms.

Here are the steps:

- Remove the usb drive

- Boot from SystemrescueCD

- plug the usb drive

- type

dmesg

to check the name of the device (should be /dev/sdb) if you're unfamillair with linux.

- you should see something like the png identify drive and partition

- The third from the bottom contains the info the drive is name sdb and has 1 only sdb1 as partition in this example.

- now you could try :

ntfsfix /dev/sdb1 

- if it doesn't work, that was the case with my drive, you'll need to reduce a little the size of the drive with the command ntfsresize:

ntfsresize -s 16000M /dev/sdb1 

for example with this drive. Use a size for partition so it will reduce it only of 8MB or a little more. add the -b -f option if needed (if there are bad sector (-B) and errors (-f)).

- then reboot on windows with the usb drive plugged. It should ask to skip checking the drive during boot. DO NOT SKIP the check!!!! Then it might reboot (it shouldn't do it but sometimes it will) and now your partition should work like charms.

Thank You man!!

It worked!! :thumbup