How do you include drivers

whats the difference with the injection and the folder method?

the injection method will compress them is all i can think of

It is easier and quicker when adding other drivers to just add drivers to DVD\sources\$OEM$\$1\Drivers folder that have to edit mount and edit wim files.

Edited by urie

Well DISM does not use all the files in those drivers you inject. It only uses what it needs. If you have the ability to forcast exactly which drivers you need down to the INFs, this will save you space in your WIMs. I use this process as we evaluate all new hardware against our Windows 7 images, and add drivers as needed before we actually start using it. That way we do not just put drivers in just because they are there, only if we would actually be using them.

I have been reading that injecting the drivers via dism increases the size of the image (it is no very important), the problem i have seen, after the system is installed, all the drivers are stored in the folder "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" regardless if they are needed or not, so it increases the size of the windows installed.

Also i have been reading that installing drivers from dvd or usb flash media (any folder), do the same as it copies all the drivers founded in the path of drivers.

I think the only method to add only the necessary drivers is via DPinst, so only the drivers needed are copied to the folder DriverStore.

Which is why I have a script in my task sequence used to build the machine that gathers the make and model number from WMI, and then only copies the drivers for that device to the system. It takes a little more time to build up the scripts to do this, but it saves on image size and also makes the specialize pass run much faster overall.