Anyone using WDS with several images

Is there anyone using more than one image in your WDS?

How did you solve the unattended file?

I must have one for the WDS and one for the image. It's impossible to make it full unattended with multiple images?

...Or Can I let WDS choose image based on hardware? I want to separate desktops and laptops.

Edited by zeezam

I've heard you can do it in R2. I tried this in 2008 but it did not work properly. Here was my thread for Vista:

I tried to do it with one boot.wim, but it would work a lot better with multiple boot.wim and install.wim maybe. I got off that project because I found a better way to do Vista and Windows 7 that does not use unattends.

I've heard you can do it in R2. I tried this in 2008 but it did not work properly. Here was my thread for Vista:

I tried to do it with one boot.wim, but it would work a lot better with multiple boot.wim and install.wim maybe. I got off that project because I found a better way to do Vista and Windows 7 that does not use unattends.

Okey.

Many use MDT 2010 instead or just WDS as a complement for the boot.wim.

Is it possible to connect a boot.wim to the install.wim?

Limitations like this are the reason tools like MDT and SCCM exist - this just isn't possible. Thankfully MDT is free, so you should consider it.

Ok.

I got stuck when try uploading the image to MDT;

"A connection to the deployment share

\\Server\Distribution$ could not be made. The Deployment will not proceed"

If I not remember wrong I got same error if I import a custom install.wim to the MDT.

Assuming you still have the boot.wim in WDS, try booting to it and then pressing shift+F10 when the problem occurs to get a cmd prompt. Then try to ping the server, or net use \\server\DistributionShare$. I've seen MDT installs where the share doesn't get created, or has fairly restrictive permissions (it should have at least read perms for everyone).