Install XP

ldb

I am working on an old corporate PC that has XP pro installed on it. I was trying to remove files and data, but am frozen out in most situations. The person that used this PC is deceased. I can log into his user account, but that is about all I can do regarding making any changes to the PC. I have tried password recovery software, but it did not work.

I have a copy of XP home that I would like to install, but trying to boot up into the setup mode only takes me back to XP pro.

Any suggestions. I am guessing that I will need some type of boot software that will let me format the disk.

Thanks

As well as set the CD first in boot order (or use "F12 boot order" at boot if the option is available), you will probably need to "Press any key" to actually boot from CD.

As well as set the CD first in boot order (or use "F12 boot order" at boot if the option is available), you will probably need to "Press any key" to actually boot from CD.

Yes I have used F12 to set the boot order. This would be a downgrade from XP pro to XP home so the system seems to think that you want to boot the current OS.

the system seems to think

Whant makes you think that ? In other words, what are the actual screens you're shown before it boots the OS on the HDD ?

I think you should be able to format your partition or even delete/recreate it with your XP Home cd.

The only way you could really do it, is to format the hard drive first. Microsoft has an aversion to people downgrading.

If you can log into his account though, why not simply create a new user with administrative privilages? I don't really understand why you can't remove files and data if you are logged in. What exactly does the computer say when you try?

Failing that obtain a copy of windows xp pro from the internet, you can gaurantee it's available somewhere, (although I wont provide links as I would be thrown off after just an hour of being registered here.) LOL Then use magicjellybean to find the genuine key from the currently installed system.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I am working on an old corporate PC that has XP pro installed on it. I was trying to remove files and data, but am frozen out in most situations. The person that used this PC is deceased. I can log into his user account, but that is about all I can do regarding making any changes to the PC. I have tried password recovery software, but it did not work.

I have a copy of XP home that I would like to install, but trying to boot up into the setup mode only takes me back to XP pro.

Any suggestions. I am guessing that I will need some type of boot software that will let me format the disk.

Thanks