Fully unattended windows 7 installation

Thank you Computerguru for reply, I'll try ur first method and I'll let u know that happened, I'm sure everything will work correctly. Let me see if I understood well what u mean.

startnet.cmd = 1st reg where is RunOnce

Tweak file = 2nd reg you wrote

1.REG = My HKCU reg

All will be located Sources\$OEM$\SETUP\SCRIPTS\3 reg files

Question

Who is "Final" and once ran the scripts as can I delete it so it will not be in c: \ windows\setup\scripts. Thank you very much for ur time, I don't know absolutely nothing about programming and codes, but if can help at least in testing can u count on me. Thanks and hope your next POST

Thank you Computerguru for reply, I'll try ur first method and I'll let u know that happened, I'm sure everything will work correctly. Let me see if I understood well what u mean.

1.REG = My HKCU reg

Question

Who is "Final" and once ran the scripts as can I delete it so it will not be in c: \ windows\setup\scripts. Thank you very much for ur time, I don't know absolutely nothing about programming and codes, but if can help at least in testing can u count on me. Thanks and hope your next POST

Thanks Yesnovato for your quick response. I think you shouldn't be frustrated, what you (and I) have done isn't programing, it's just a fun and trying to make our operating system according to our sweet wil, so don't judge yourself as a less quality person, just keep practising and it will make you perfect (not a programmer, but a person who knows what he wants to do).

You are a bit wrong. Also I was wrong the file STARTNET.CMD WON'T BE STARTNET.CMD it is SETUPCOMPLETE.CMD(CORRECT THIS, OTHERWISE YOUR SCRIPT WONT WORK, sorry for this silly mistake) I'm calling my 1.reg file from setupcomplete.cmd (setupcomplete.cmd is a command script, not registry script), 1.reg file saves RunOnce entries to be executed. tweaks.reg is your (or my) HKCU reg. RunOnce execute the following command to merge your HKCU REG (TWEAKS.REG) to registry.

"regedit /s C:\\windows\\setup\\scripts\\tweaks.reg"

1.reg file just saves the RunOnce entry to registry to merge tweaks.reg(HKCU REG).

To delete the folder, you have to add another RunOnce entry. For example I'm attaching your required 1.reg, tweaks.reg(HKCU REG), setupcomplete.cmd.

Note that you will have 2 reg files and a .cmd file on your C:\windows\setup\scripts directory (1.reg, tweaks.reg, setupcomplete.cmd). You need tweaks.reg(HKCU REG) file at c:\windows\setup\scripts directory when runonce is executed, so the command to remove the directory should be executed via runonce after merging tweaks.reg. Just right click my attached 1.reg file, select edit and you'll find the commands (including command to deleting c:\windows\setup\scripts). You shouldn't be worried about the final script to keep it out from c:\windows\setup\scripts.

If you still can't understand post it very soon.

1.REG

SETUPCOMPLETE.CMD

TWEAKS.REG

Edited by computerguru

Hi Computerguru.

I was wondering if you could post steps on how to inject windows updates into the installation. Could you do it in sysprep? Its one thing that p***es me off having to always run windows update. Other then that awesome guide!

Thanks

CalBoy

Hi Computerguru.

I was wondering if you could post steps on how to inject windows updates into the installation. Could you do it in sysprep? Its one thing that p***es me off having to always run windows update. Other then that awesome guide!

Thanks

CalBoy

There is just a one question; do you have a genuine windows 7 product key? If your answer is yes then offcourse you can run windows update during sysprep. Windows update just requires your windows 7 product key to be genuine and also requires it to be activated, you can then run windows update.

Don't worry about your product key, it won't be stolen. When you run sysprep and also select the generalize checkbox, all traces of your activation will be removed at sysprep DTC cleanup stage. Also your SID (which uniquely identifies your machine) will be removed.

But if your answer is no, then you have to buy a genuine one or have to take non-genuine steps which may also violate your local law.

I'm waiting for your response.

There is just a one question; do you have a genuine windows 7 product key? If your answer is yes then offcourse you can run windows update during sysprep. Windows update just requires your windows 7 product key to be genuine and also requires it to be activated, you can then run windows update.

Don't worry about your product key, it won't be stolen. When you run sysprep and also select the generalize checkbox, all traces of your activation will be removed at sysprep DTC cleanup stage. Also your SID (which uniquely identifies your machine) will be removed.

But if your answer is no, then you have to buy a genuine one or have to take non-genuine steps which may also violate your local law.

Hey thanks for the quick answer!

Yeah i have a genuine product key so thats fine. What else with the generalize setting do? Also when i run sysprep with the generalize will it wipe all of my application settings? As a few of my applications i setup before hand therefore not having to do it everytime i install windows. I have to install windows across quite a few computers as i take care of multiple computers on a site, so i dont want to have to put the applications settings in for every computer. I've looked into WinPE but I would like to see if this method would be any quicker. Thanks in advance :)

Yeah i have a genuine product key so thats fine. What else with the generalize setting do? Also when i run sysprep with the generalize will it wipe all of my application settings? As a few of my applications i setup before hand therefore not having to do it everytime i install windows. I have to install windows across quite a few computers as i take care of multiple computers on a site, so i dont want to have to put the applications settings in for every computer. I've looked into WinPE but I would like to see if this method would be any quicker. Thanks in advance :)

No, none of your application settings will be wiped out. But if your application settings include HKCU registry values (I assume you know what it meant for), such as shortcuts, windows media player customizations, then you may lost them, as for ONLY YOUR CASE, you want to keep this settings once applied, you have to do the following (Personally I DON'T like this, as every of your customer have differrent choice, you shouldn't DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT).

1. Install windows, enter audit mode, install apps, customize application settings (known as application data).

2. Go to %systemdrive%\users\Administrator.

3. From the organize tab, select folder and search options, select "show hidden files and folders" uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

4. Select all contents of this folder (alternatively you may just select the application data (and or AppData) folder).

5. Copy them to %systemdrive%\users\default folder, overwrite any file if required.

6. Then run sysprep, select the generalize checkbox, your application settings will be saved and applied to every computer when you reinstall windows using this sysprepped image.

Thanks

PLZ Don't forget to post your response.

No, none of your application settings will be wiped out. But if your application settings include HKCU registry values (I assume you know what it meant for), such as shortcuts, windows media player customizations, then you may lost them, as for ONLY YOUR CASE, you want to keep this settings once applied, you have to do the following (Personally I DON'T like this, as every of your customer have differrent choice, you shouldn't DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT).

1. Install windows, enter audit mode, install apps, customize application settings (known as application data).

2. Go to %systemdrive%\users\Administrator.

3. From the organize tab, select folder and search options, select "show hidden files and folders" uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

4. Select all contents of this folder (alternatively you may just select the application data (and or AppData) folder).

5. Copy them to %systemdrive%\users\default folder, overwrite any file if required.

6. Then run sysprep, select the generalize checkbox, your application settings will be saved and applied to every computer when you reinstall windows using this sysprepped image.

Thanks

PLZ Don't forget to post your response.

Of course!! What a excellent way to do it! So simple. There should be no worries with the HKCU data, and if there is i can create a .reg file to put them back in on first boot with runonce using the user variable. And any shortcuts that i want to keep I can chuck in the default user desktop folder.

Thank you heaps for your help.

I will make a image in the next few days and deploy it on a few test machines and see how it goes. Will post my results back here once completed and my recommendations on whether to use this method or WinPE and ImageX.

Thanks

CalBoy

Sorry another quick question computerguru.

Does sysprep whipe Office keys? Haven't had much to do with sysprep. Just something i would ask.

Thanks

Calboy

Edited by CalBoy

Sorry another quick question computerguru.

Does sysprep whipe Office keys? Haven't had much to do with sysprep. Just something i would ask.

Thanks

Calboy

Your question isn't so clear dude. If you wanted to mean 'keys' as 'product keys', obviously they won't be wiped out. If you wanted to mean application settings (office customization including options whether to download product updates or not), then just follow the method I previously posted.

Reply if it can help you.

@Yesnovato, what about you? Did you face any problems understanding?

1.REG = My HKCU reg

Question

Thanks Yesnovato for your quick response. I think you shouldn't be frustrated, what you (and I) have done isn't programing, it's just a fun and trying to make our operating system according to our sweet wil, so don't judge yourself as a less quality person, just keep practising and it will make you perfect (not a programmer, but a person who knows what he wants to do).

You are a bit wrong. Also I was wrong the file STARTNET.CMD WON'T BE STARTNET.CMD it is SETUPCOMPLETE.CMD(CORRECT THIS, OTHERWISE YOUR SCRIPT WONT WORK, sorry for this silly mistake) I'm calling my 1.reg file from setupcomplete.cmd (setupcomplete.cmd is a command script, not registry script), 1.reg file saves RunOnce entries to be executed. tweaks.reg is your (or my) HKCU reg. RunOnce execute the following command to merge your HKCU REG (TWEAKS.REG) to registry.

"regedit /s C:\\windows\\setup\\scripts\\tweaks.reg"

1.reg file just saves the RunOnce entry to registry to merge tweaks.reg(HKCU REG).

To delete the folder, you have to add another RunOnce entry. For example I'm attaching your required 1.reg, tweaks.reg(HKCU REG), setupcomplete.cmd.

Note that you will have 2 reg files and a .cmd file on your C:\windows\setup\scripts directory (1.reg, tweaks.reg, setupcomplete.cmd). You need tweaks.reg(HKCU REG) file at c:\windows\setup\scripts directory when runonce is executed, so the command to remove the directory should be executed via runonce after merging tweaks.reg. Just right click my attached 1.reg file, select edit and you'll find the commands (including command to deleting c:\windows\setup\scripts). You shouldn't be worried about the final script to keep it out from c:\windows\setup\scripts.

If you still can't understand post it very soon.

Hello

Thanks for your great help and for your time, I tried in my W786 Laptop using your tweak.reg and all were successfully installed, but not deleted the Sripts Folder. I know u have little time but when u have it please could u put each tweak does, or tell me where to read about what makes each of them. Excuse my ignorance. Today when I get home I will test on my Main PC W7x64. Thank you so much

Note: All test were using VMware

Edited by Yesnovato

Hello Computerguru

Resuts using VMware:

1)Image W7x86, all Tweaks were successfully installed, but the Scripts Folder remains in windows/setup. I don't know why the following folders appeared C:\$windows-LS and C:\windows-BT

2)Image W7x64, any tweaks were installed, Scripts folder remans and the above folders

Really I don't know why is working fine in x86 but not x64. Please let me know if I need to test something different.

Thanks

Hello Computerguru

Resuts using VMware:

1)Image W7x86, all Tweaks were successfully installed, but the Scripts Folder remains in windows/setup. I don't know why the following folders appeared C:\$windows-LS and C:\windows-BT

2)Image W7x64, any tweaks were installed, Scripts folder remans and the above folders

Really I don't know why is working fine in x86 but not x64. Please let me know if I need to test something different.

Thanks

Actually you might have some mistakes yesnovato. 1st I've experimented the method, and in my case the folder c:\windows\setup\scripts was deleted (the 'rd' command removed the directory). But I think you were wrong because you had C:\$windows-LS and C:\windows-BT, as if you performed a fresh installation (from any bootable media) then there SHOULDN'T these folders (they had been created for temporary purpose, when you run setup from your desktop).

For 2) I'm thinkinng about it, but just a question, do you applied my provided tweaks.reg( they only works with 32 bit os), or your own?

I am very happy for this thread! I was wondering if any of you could tell me what happens during Win 7 installation during TEXT MODE. Assuming that Win 7 has a text mode, and it is similar to Win XP, this is what I mean:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

So I am mentioning this to remind people what TEXT MODE is, that it will be fresh in their memory. TEXT MODE is what happens before the first reboot during installation.

My question: Is it the same process, regardless of the type of hardware that windows is being installed to?

I wanted to try for myself, to see if this is all that happens during TEXT MODE: create a partition, create an MBR, create the partition's boot sector, and copy the files over. Then, when I reboot, Win 7 installation would continue from there?

edit: there is no text mode, but i'm hoping this works anyway

Edited by mraeryceos

Hello

I used your tweaks, I'm sorry I did not know they had tweaks for x32 and x64, I just learned something new for me, anyway not installed in the case of x64,however the tweaks were set using an image that was not created using sysprep, The folders Bt and LS are not found in windows, but the scripts folder still there :hello: . Could you give me some idea where can be the error. Am going to create another image again and I'll post my results back here.

Let me a question, is there to select the generalize checkbox? becasuse i dont select it.

Thanks

Yesnovato

Edited by Yesnovato

Hello

I used your tweaks, I'm sorry I did not know they had tweaks for x32 and x64, I just learned something new for me, anyway not installed in the case of x64,however the tweaks were set using an image that was not created using sysprep, The folders Bt and LS are not found in windows, but the scripts folder still there :hello: . Could you give me some idea where can be the error. Am going to create another image again and I'll post my results back here.

Let me a question, is there to select the generalize checkbox? becasuse i dont select it.

Thanks

Yesnovato

Hello Computerguru

The same problem, now i test with my x64 tweaks, it doesn't work and I get the $windows-bt and $windows-ls at C:\ i dont know what is the problem, I follow the tutotial. Please could you help me. Thank in advance