"Unknown Windows version, please report"

patriczw

Hi Pals,

This is the firat time I tried nlite to integrate SP3 into my XP Pro SP1a.

When I located the folder of windows installation files, nlite pops up with a note of "Unknow windows version, please report". And, the nlite shuts automatically.

Please, can anyone let me know how to start nlite correctly?

Thanks,

patrick.w.zhang@gmail.com

post-282061-126781749673_thumb.jpg

post-282061-126781750862_thumb.jpg

patriczw, please open the file SETUPP.INI with notepad and post the Pid that is there. You should find the file in your I386 folder. Also post the CD label. You will see this when you look at the My Computer page with your optical drive and also the Properties of the CD when loaded. It should look something like CRMPXOEM_EN. This is my XP x64 OEM CD. Also tell us where the CD came from - retail, OEM, recovery, etc. Enjoy, John.

patriczw, please open the file SETUPP.INI with notepad and post the Pid that is there. You should find the file in your I386 folder. Also post the CD label. You will see this when you look at the My Computer page with your optical drive and also the Properties of the CD when loaded. It should look something like CRMPXOEM_EN. This is my XP x64 OEM CD. Also tell us where the CD came from - retail, OEM, recovery, etc. Enjoy, John.

Hi John,

I opened setupp.ini under i386; it's blank without any text. The CD label is "X1APOEM_EN". This CD comes from one of my mates. From the stick, it says XP pro. OEM product.

FYI, when I obtained this CD, it's never opened - the package.

Please kindly advise how to proceed.

p.s. I am using a netbook with XP home and I'd like to update it with XP pro. I used an IBM T43 and POWERISO to integrate it into an ISO image and saved on my USB sticker. Then I extracted it onto my netbook on E: for a backup. I bet there should not be anything wrong with these procedure.

Thanks,

patrick

Make certain to copy the identification files (WIN51*) from the root of the CD. This is very commonly overlooked.

patriczw, the CD label makes sense but the blank SETUPP.INI does not. How did you copy the files from the CD into the folder? If you did not use nLite, then please do. Simply navigate to the optical file using the browse button (nLite, Locating the Windows Installation) and specify an empty folder. I think sometime when you just copy and paste from the CD, you leave some files if your Folder Options (Control Panel) do not allow seeing all the files/folders. 5eraph make a good point about the WIN51* file(s). They do not show on your posted screen shot and should be there since the CD should have SP1a. Also, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of your CD. Enjoy, John.

OK patriczw, I see - original screen shot was only the left side of the window. I do not have a suggested action right now and will do some more thinking. Please answer the questions I asked in my last post and also take a look at the SETUPP.INI file on the CD - looking directly at the CD not at the copy - and let us know if it also is blank. Thanks, John.

EDIT: Please look in your System Log (right click My Computer-Event Viewer-System) and see if you have any errors logged like "Bad Block on CDPROM". Have you had any optical drive problems? Does the CD have any scratches, finger prints, etc?

Edited by johnhc

Pals,

I have used a fake kingston 2G stick. That's why it's missing contents of the file and such. Now I used another one, a good one, to transport the CD onto my netbook. "nlite" just integrated SP3 and I am working on the integration of all drivers.

I am sorry to have misled you guys; and I thank you very much for your helps.

Pat