[SOLVED] Disable automatic restart on system failure NOT working

viki250

Hello,

Last night when I finished my work I did a normal shutdown of my HP NX7300 notebook and left in a working state. But this morning when i started notebook it quit during bootup and restarted again. This loop continued and I tried with Safe mode (alone, with networking and with command prompt). Then I checked net and found I can stop restart to capture error message by "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option.

I tried this option several times, but still its not stopping on error message and keeps restarting.

Please advise how can I capture error message and troubleshoot restart problem.

Thanks,

Bye,

Viki.

Edited by viki250

Go here and try Direct Registry Edit, Shut Down, then PC-Reboot.

Worth a shot / HTH

How can i edit registry settings when I am not able to enter into windows ? Machine keeps on rebooting while loading OS.

Bye,

Viki.

Do you have your XP CD (minimum the I386 folder)? If so...

Search/Google for LiveXP, download to another PC, run it to create a LiveXP Bootable CD (uses the I386 folder+other stuff), boot to it, run the RegEdit within LiveXP, use LoadHive to get the SYSTEMhive (in the failing HDD's "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config" folder, named SYSTEM, no suffix), change it there (there will be an extra "hi-level folder whatever name you gave it at Load time), and then UnloadHive. Reboot PC without the CD in it.

EDIT - just seen your post... Do what I just said. It's a Trojan that causes this (there's a thread here somewhere) that MS finally fixed the "hole" and the Trojan can't execute properly, so it BSOD's. This will at least get the BSOD message. Also, using this LiveXP, it may be possible (with the correct Network driver) to go OnLine and do an OnLine Free Virus Scan to get rid of it (hopefully) before reboot. (p.s. this is a rather new problem that MS nor the Hackers foresaw.)

Edited by submix8c

Hello,

Problem is resolved. Thanks for the support.

Here is what I did:

1. Created Live XP CD from BartPE
  2. Booted with it but during boot-up got error "The file iaStor.sys could not be found. Press any key to continue"
  3. Then I removed effected HDD of NX7300 and put in a USB cover and finally plugged with another running PC
  4. Another computer detected effected HDD as an external drive and started showing drives
  5. Did a virus scan of only Windows folder of effected HDD.
  6. Found that iaStor.sys is corrupted. [confirmed why bootup stopped in step 2 above]
  7. Did a search on net for iaStor.sys and found that it should not be removed/deleted
  8. I tried to clean iaStor.sys but failed. Then I moved it to a backup location in HDD
  9. Finally searched iaStor.sys (for x86-XP) from net and copied into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
  10. Plugged HDD back into NX7300.
  11. Booted in safe mode and it took a while during bootup but finally succeed.
  12. Then restarted in normal winxp mode and it started successfully.

It was a good learning in which I learned the concept of Live CD. I found it very useful in case of virus attack, not able to boot like problems.

Am now thinking to create a Live CD for XP which should give me ability to:

1. Load SATA drivers
  2. Give GUI
  3. Give Network and Wireless capability
  4. Give virus scan facility
  5. Allow me to take HDD backup
  6. Should be able to run external USB drive, flash drive and CD/DVD enabled.

Please suggest me the way. Specifically, how I can add SATA drivers in BartPE Live CD for XP ?

Thanks.

Bye,

Viki.

Edited by viki250

Look under nLite sub-forum - two threads referencing SATA/RAID. It will all depend on your particular hardware and how you construct the BartPE. Also search on SATA and/or RAID in the MSFN Advanced Search (quickest is to tick-mark the Topic-Only box).

BTW, I was actually referring to the Bootland version of LiveXP, but it's kind of irrelevant. Also, I don't have any of that hardware so you might browse around "over there" to get a good idea on your own (sorry...).

...Forgot to add that you should change this Topic Title and add SOLVED at the beginning of it; and if you need help with something else, either post in another topic or start a new thread (as this topic is "done").

Glad to have helped in some fashion...

Edited by submix8c

...Forgot to add that you should change this Topic Title and add SOLVED at the beginning of it; and if you need help with something else, either post in another topic or start a new thread (as this topic is "done").

Glad to have helped in some fashion...

DONE !

Thanks for your support :)

Bye,

Viki.