Weird Video Card Problem

03GrandAmGT

Hi All,

I have a possessed system in which when I click on items to open the system hangs and won’t recover. I ran nirsoft’s ShellMenuView as I read that sometimes the context menu may have act this way. No luck with this everything came out clean. So thought might do a clean install and see where that would go. LOL still the same D*amn thing. OK, so let’s start looking at the system readings with Everest (Home) first thing I looked at were voltages. At first the machine locked up 3 times before I could get to the voltages, here they are.

Everest (Home)

12V = 6.22V WOW

5V = 5.12V

3.3V = 3.3V

Bios

3.3V = 3.31V

12V = 12.11V

5V = 5.11V

DVM

12V = 12.12-12.13

5V = 5.12V

3.3V = 3.3V

As you can see there is a big discrepancy with the 12V side between Bios, DVM and Everest and I am not too worried about that as the DVM would be more accurate than anything else. So just for giggles I swapped out the Power Supply with a new power supply that is a spare backup with the same results. So here is what I have done in process and elimination.

Mobo = No (Have no other that is similar)

CPU = Not Yet This should either work or not work

Power Supply = Yes

Hard Drive Yes (Swapped primary for Sata & IDE both)

Ram = Yes (Swapped stick by stick and both as pairs Corsair XMS & )& a completely different set.

Video Card = Yes This could be the problem (see below).

The video card works with no problem with all of my live cd’s I have and in XP safe mode. Once booted into the full system is when I have the problem. Now if I just built this system then I would suspect a driver issue. But this system has been running 24/7 since 2008 and has absolutely given me no problems. I tried getting Win7 on it. It installed to the part of testing video system and would lock up. So at this point I am highly suspecting the video card, which with this type of issue I have never seen (Clicking and getting system locked).

System Specs

Motherboard Abit

KN9 SLI

CPU AMD

Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Videocard Gigabyte

GV-NX73T256P-RH

Ram Corsair

2x TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Power Supply COOLMAX

CP-500T 500W

Hard drives Seagate

1x ST380815AS Boot

2x ST3250824AS Storage In NON-Rain 1 Holds Video to edit the other the finished video

DVD Samsung

SH-S182M

Extremely stripped version of XP 64

Temps

CPU= Idle 36C Working 56C

System= 36C

HD1= 40C Boot

HD2= 38C Storage

HD3= 37C Storage

Well this system has been working fine so far for the last week with a different video card. I have been editing and re-compressing video files with no problems so this whole thing must have been a flaky video card. Although if there is anything that someone could comment, tips, voltage point, to check (Vid Card/Mobo).

Thanks

jd