XML Help Needed Badly

I been using the WAIK and I just cant seem to get past a certain error. What I do is build the machine how I want it from audit mode. Click sysprep oobe check and do the reboot to capture the wim file. I keep getting an error that says it cant apply a setting during the specialize phase. I have gone thru and deleted and changed so many things in this file and I still cant figure it out. Here is the answer file.

autounattend.xml

On first glance, if you are not pushing a product key, delete the <ProductKey></ProductKey> line entirely.

ProductKeySpecifies the Windows® image to install during Windows Setup.

Important:

Entering an invalid product key in the answer file will cause Windows Setup to fail.

I would assume a blank product key (in the XML) is considered "invalid". Edited by MrJinje

On first glance, if you are not pushing a product key, delete the <ProductKey></ProductKey> line entirely.

ProductKeySpecifies the Windows® image to install during Windows Setup.

Important:

Entering an invalid product key in the answer file will cause Windows Setup to fail.

I would assume a blank product key (in the XML) is considered "invalid".

I am using the PID.txt method of entering my key. I had a key in the answer file at first but it kept saying it was invalid but I know the key works. Its the strangest thing. I have done answers files before and never had these kinds of problems. But I been pulling my hair out over this for a week now. One thing I noticed that if use this answer file with a untouched install.wim on the dvd it goes thru just fine but if I just install windows 7 run sysprep and capture the image the answer starts giving me errors.

I am using the PID.txt method of entering my key.

I thought that was for XP ? Is that even supported on Windows 7 ?

Yeah, every single Royalty OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway) does this with their vista/windows 7 dvds. It works great because it keeps the product key out of your unattended file.

Yeah, every single Royalty OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway) does this with their vista/windows 7 dvds. It works great because it keeps the product key out of your unattended file.

Maybe on Vista DVD's, but like I said, I don't think that is supported anymore with Windows 7. Are you saying you have success with that method ?

You should be using DISM /SET-PRODUCTKEY

Edited by MrJinje

Its resolved. The actual xml file was corrupted some how. I re-did the whole thing from scratch using the same settings and it works now. This was very surprising that this happened. The usb key I had been using was bad. I noticed when I plugged it in on the last time to edit my settings windows prompted me to check it for errors.

Maybe on Vista DVD's, but like I said, I don't think that is supported anymore with Windows 7. Are you saying you have success with that method ?

You should be using DISM /SET-PRODUCTKEY

I will let you know when I finalize the dvd. If it works when I try to activate it then I will know for sure.