Harder to setup networking under Windows 98

andwan0

I just bought a Libretto 100CT and installed Windows 98SE on it. It came with a NetGear WLAN card and I bought myself a 3Com LAN card.

I downloaded official drivers from NetGear and 3Com's websites for Windows 98. Drivers installed fine and my devices seem okay.

Now am having problems trying to connect to the internet via my company LAN. By default, the TCP/IP settings are "obtain IP address automatically". But I guess I try manually set the DNS, gateway and IP myself. I copied the settings from my workstation PC (obviously a different IP, but same DNS and gateway and subnet mask). I still can't access internet on my Libretto.

Also the WLAN tool is very basic. Is there a better WLAN tool for NetGear for Windows 98?

<snip> NetGear WLAN card <snip> 3Com LAN card.

<snip> company LAN. <snip> manually set the DNS, gateway and IP myself. I copied the settings from my workstation PC (obviously a different IP, but same DNS and gateway and subnet mask). I still can't access internet on my Libretto.

You didn't specify what models.

Can you access the Local Network (internal PC's, i.e. your Workstation) with the Libretto? If not, better check with the Network Administrator. Since this is a Company LAN and the Workstation has a "fixed IP" (does it?) then there's a good possibility the Company has a fixed set of "Allow" IP addresses, of which the Libretto is being "blocked" (not in "the list").

<snip> NetGear WLAN card <snip> 3Com LAN card.

<snip> company LAN. <snip> manually set the DNS, gateway and IP myself. I copied the settings from my workstation PC (obviously a different IP, but same DNS and gateway and subnet mask). I still can't access internet on my Libretto.

You didn't specify what models.

Can you access the Local Network (internal PC's, i.e. your Workstation) with the Libretto? If not, better check with the Network Administrator. Since this is a Company LAN and the Workstation has a "fixed IP" (does it?) then there's a good possibility the Company has a fixed set of "Allow" IP addresses, of which the Libretto is being "blocked" (not in "the list").

NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card

3CCFE574BT 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC Card http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3ccfe574b.htm

I actually managed to get LAN working. Now... tricky part is WLAN. Am trying to get it working at home now... on my wireless router from O2.... before I venture out to shops....