How To Install DOS USB Drivers ?

Monroe

Ok, thanks for the additional help. Yes, I saw that in that article but I have no idea how to get that onto a floppy disc or how to load anything into the config.sys. Do I copy all those instuctions to notepad in the form of a text and then put that onto a floppy? Look I will read the links that you have supplied. This really isn't that important for me to know all this anyway. I have the Ghost program working in my older computers, which works for me. I have no real reason to have USB working in DOS anyway. I'll stick with Win 98SE and work on the DOS thing in bits and pieces. If I truly never understand DOS, it will not be a big loss for me. .... Thanks again

The config.sys and autoexec.bat are text files and can be built and/or edited from Windows with notepad or another text editor. In DOS, edit.com does the same job. The easiest way to make a bootdisk is to let 98 do it for you. Go to the control panel, then add\remove programs, startup disk tab. This will make a standard 98 bootdisk. Use it as a starting point for your own, add, edit, and update drivers and files as you choose. VPC is an ideal environment for this as it enables you to use an image file format instead of actually floppies or CDs.

It might not be absolutely necessary to understand DOS or to be able to build your own custom bootdisks. That said, DOS can be a 9X users best friend. With some knowledge and imagination, there's almost no limit to what you can do with it, much of which can't be done from within Windows. DOS batch files are powerful tools, especially when you add a few 3rd party applications. The link at the bottom of my signature is a small example of what you can do with batch files.