save and restore windows 7 image with sysrescuecd

zeezam

I have saved a custom win7 installation as an image with sysrescuecd.

After image restore I got this error;

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

This method was working good with winxp but not with win7.

If I start windows7 repair after image restore and fix boot problem it's working.

Is there a way to skip the last step I have to do?

Doesn't mather which hw I use, still the same problem.

I take the liberty to suggest that if it happens on SAME machine, the cause may be different if it happens on different hardware only.

An image of a system, once restored to same machine is (or should be) EXACTLY as if nothing was done to it.

This would mean some problem with the app you use to create the image or in the way you make it.

If it happens ONLY on different hardware, it is normal, and there may be some tricks/ways to prevent the need to repair.

In other words, until you have a problem in restoring the image on the SAME machine, you are losing your time trying to restore it to different hardware,

Once you have succeeded with restoring on same machine, it may be possible to attempt doing the same on different hardware.

this:

is not enough.

You need to post an EXACT description of the procedure you took, BOTH for "saving the installation" AND for "restoring" it.

jaclaz

Doesn't mather which hw I use, still the same problem.

I take the liberty to suggest that if it happens on SAME machine, the cause may be different if it happens on different hardware only.

An image of a system, once restored to same machine is (or should be) EXACTLY as if nothing was done to it.

This would mean some problem with the app you use to create the image or in the way you make it.

If it happens ONLY on different hardware, it is normal, and there may be some tricks/ways to prevent the need to repair.

In other words, until you have a problem in restoring the image on the SAME machine, you are losing your time trying to restore it to different hardware,

Once you have succeeded with restoring on same machine, it may be possible to attempt doing the same on different hardware.

this:

is not enough.

You need to post an EXACT description of the procedure you took, BOTH for "saving the installation" AND for "restoring" it.

jaclaz

I use partimage to create an image of the windows partition.

First I use a standard installation of windows7 with dvd media and after I have installed all applications I boot up with sysrescuecd and saves the win7 partition.

Restore the partition with partimage to.

What more info do you need?

First I use a standard installation of windows7 with dvd media and after I have installed all applications I boot up with sysrescuecd and saves the win7 partition.

Do you save/restore the MBR (or at least the disk signature in it?).

If not, it is very possible that this is the origin of the error on SAME hardware.

jaclaz

Do you save/restore the MBR (or at least the disk signature in it?).

If not, it is very possible that this is the origin of the error on SAME hardware.

jaclaz

Nope, I haven't done that before.

Do you recomend to do this with dd command in the linux terminal?

Nope, I haven't done that before.

Do you recomend to do this with dd command in the linux terminal?

Yes, that's a way, though I am pretty sure there should be Linux GUI tools for this - not really my field. (the Linux, not the MBR).

An alternative is to access the Registry offline and delete the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices (or edit each \DosDevice entry with the new signature), but your mileage may vary with this.

(it won't be anymore an image, but a "moved" system, IF it works)

jaclaz