Users Tab - Unattended Install

I know this has more than likely been explained, but when i search Google for my question it brings up links to MSFN forums and when i click them it goes straight to the MSFN homepage, not the result it searched for.

I am trying to create a fully automated install cd for WinXP. Recently i have found that I have been re-installing windows on my pc quite a few times a day sometimes just testing various hardware and software, and filling in all the info gets TIRING.

But in that, I want windows setup to create a Admin (rights) User name for me, and like 2 other user names. Also, I want the Administrator login to remain hidden unless booting into safe mode for troubleshooting.

Now my question is this: On the Users tab of the Unattended portion, when you click 'Active' under Options, what exactly does that do? If i make all profiles EXCEPT Administrator Active will that do what i'm asking? (show admin only in safe mode, and only users in normal startup?

thanks for helpin with a noob question

Edited by CutTheGrass

I presume this is an nLite question. Active does not disable the account.

I'm not sure on your second question. You can hide accounts on the welcome screen but showing only in safe mode I don't think it's possible.

Instead of installing in your PC, check out a virtual machine to do your testing. I use VirtualBox but there are others.

Edited by -X-

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CutTheGrass,

your first question:

I want windows setup to create a Admin (rights) User name for me, and like 2 other user names.

You can simply use a batch-file to create the user-accounts you need.

This adds your user, adds it to the administrators-group and removes it from the "normal" users:

NET USER %YOUR_USERNAME% %YOUR_PASSWORD% /ADD /FULLNAME:"%FULLNAME_OF_THE_USER%" /COMMENT:"%A_COMMENT_IF_REQUIRED%"
NET LOCALGROUP Administrators /ADD %YOUR_USERNAME%
NET LOCALGROUP Users /DELETE %YOUR_USERNAME%

This adds a "normal" user:

NET USER %YOUR_USERNAME% %YOUR_PASSWORD% /ADD /FULLNAME:"%FULLNAME_OF_THE_USER%" /COMMENT:"%A_COMMENT_IF_REQUIRED%"

Your second question:

Also, I want the Administrator login to remain hidden unless booting into safe mode for troubleshooting.

As -X- posted, you can also use the classic logon style for Windows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"LogonType"=dword:00000000

Edited by HØLLØW

Administrator will not show on the Welcome Screen if you have other users on the PC. It will only show in Safe Mode and on a Classic Logon (if you type it in). This (I'm pretty sure) is the default action. Leave the Active box ticked.

Edit: I now remembered I used TweakUI to make Administrator show on my Welcome screen, just above my user account.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt