General Midi DLS

HardDriv'n

Hi. If this question seems too stupid, or of questionable content, I apologize.

I'm trying to setup an audio tutorial for a gaming forum I frequent, and it requires saving the instruments from the WinXP 'GM.DLS' as PAT files.

Does anyone know if it would/wouldn't be legal for me just to redistribute the PAT files I saved from the DLS?

Or, can someone possibly offer a free alternative/equivalent DLS file that I could legally redistribute?

Edited by HardDriv'n

Its unfortunate that a lot of mods for games have content that is not redistributable. The only reason why it isn't brought up is because the modding community as a whole (not just authors) is such a small percentage that no one really cares. It isn't until something gets really popular (ie makes headlines) that you find out you aren't allowed to do such things. Some examples are taking files (models/textures) from one game and porting them to another and others like when Dragonball Z Quake was going to come out and they got shut down by the copyright holders... Saban I think? Others are when you redist mods that have music in them.

So not to worry, there is a legal way to do it. It involves making a straight up tutorial, and not provide any files except any programs you have written that do not break the EULA for the product. This means that if you can't redist these types of files, you need to tell your audience where to find the files on their own, and how to convert them to this other format.

So you can't redist these DLS files, but your target audience (if using XP) should already have these files on their system. Let them do the converting themselves, and you can tell them how to do it. That's the best advice I can give.

So you can't redist these DLS files, but your target audience (if using XP) should already have these files on their system. Let them do the converting themselves, and you can tell them how to do it. That's the best advice I can give.

Okay, and thanks for the info. :unsure: