Contents of \RunOnce Folder

oao

The contents when using MS fixes are listed as:

---------------------------

All of the following files are optional (except KB973525), like the optional files in the hotfix list above if you include them as directed then they will be installed.

At \RunOnce for installation via nLite's RunOnce / batch files.

% ▼ directx_aug2009_redist.exe 108,279,664

. . . MD5: 3F615F38FDC5EE3A8F142DC6F7594657

. . . SHA-1: 563B96A3D78D6038D10428F23954F083320B4019

@ . . . install_flash_player_ax.exe 1,956,528 Updated 8 Dec

@ ▼ vcredist_x86.exe 2,745,256 Visual C++ 2005 SP1 32-bit

@ ▼ vcredist_x64.exe 3,215,280 Visual C++ 2005 SP1 64-bit

@ ▼ WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956744-x64-ENU.exe 4,044,672 MS09-044 - Remote Desktop Connection

@ . . . WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973525-x64-ENU.exe 674,176 MS09-055 - ActiveX Kill Bits - Cumulative

# ▼ WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe 7,749,976 Updated (in this guide) 8 Dec

---------------------------

The contents when using 5_eraph pack are listed as:

------------------------------

At \RunOnce:

% ▼ directx_aug2009_redist.exe 108,279,664

. . . MD5: 3F615F38FDC5EE3A8F142DC6F7594657

. . . SHA-1: 563B96A3D78D6038D10428F23954F083320B4019

@ ▼ vcredist_x86.exe 2,745,256 Visual C++ 2005 SP1 32-bit

@ ▼ vcredist_x64.exe 3,215,280 Visual C++ 2005 SP1 64-bit

---------------------------------

I am using 5eraph's pack and need some clarifications:

1. Can I assume that some of the files are not used because they already are in the 5eraph pack? If not, why were

they dropped?

2. Of those that remain, if I don't integrate them will I get bugged by Windows Update?

3. I notice that in my running system, which is up to date by Windows Update, there are no Visual C++ 2005 fixes.

Instead I have only Visual C++ 2008 fixes, which I assume are in the 5eraph pack. So should I apply these?

4. Must these fixes be in the RunOnce folder? Can't they be in the Hotfix folder? If not, can anybody provide the

code for nLite?

I hope I am not missing something here.

Thanks.

Edited by oao

1. Can I assume that some of the files are not used because they already are in the 5eraph pack? If not, why were

they dropped?

Yes, as listed on 5eraph's update-Pack thread on RyanVM: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400

2. Of those that remain, if I don't integrate them will I get bugged by Windows Update?

I don't know if they will be listed as missing in the optional section of WU, but there shouldn't be anything listed in the High-priority section.

3. I notice that in my running system, which is up to date by Windows Update, there are no Visual C++ 2005 fixes.

Instead I have only Visual C++ 2008 fixes, which I assume are in the 5eraph pack. So should I apply these?

Don't know.

4. Must these fixes be in the RunOnce folder? Can't they be in the Hotfix folder? If not, can anybody provide the

code for nLite?

They are un-supported for integration by nLite and hence, needs other meassures for integration i.e. from nLite's RunOnce function.

Thanks, Martin.

Unless I am mistaken MS does not have a page with an official list of all the fixes, categorized into optional or not -- right?

If so this is amazing to me. That's why so many go thru the trouble to keep track of this and we end up with many understandable discrepancies. All this would go away if MS published one correct list, but hey, we all know MS.

If nLite does not support them the question is whether they can be integrated before or after nLite with something else, say Ryan's Integrator.

Quick answers:

1. Yes, the updates not listed are already in my update pack. You don't need to add them.
  2. No, the Microsoft Update website will not nag you for the remaining updates in Kurt_Aust's RunOnce list, but they're nice to have. Generally speaking, I don't deal with runtimes. I install them when I need them, which is hardly ever on machines that I manage.
  3. As stated previously, I don't deal with runtimes. They don't show up for me on Microsoft Update. But, if MU bugs you to install them, I'd recommend doing so—unless it's .NET 3.5. I'd only install that bloat if I really needed it. I make do with .NET 2.0 SP2 and the updates for it in Kurt_Aust's list.
  4. I can't answer this question. Kurt_Aust would know best.

Thanks. I would like to offer the following thoughts:

1. The whole point of bothering with slipstreaming is to avoid as much as possible future problems or WU nags. If one goes through the hassle of learning and doing the work, it makes sense to include anything with the potential to prevent problems.

So I like to add all fixes unless there is a good reason to avoid any.

2. Furthermore, another purpose of slipstreaming and keeping the OS source up to date is to ensure that the next OS reinstall will be as painless as possible. If I refrain from including some items and I am forced to add them manually later, it means that the source I have will cause me this hassle next time I have to reinstall it too.

3. The reality is that we cannot know at any point time what we will do on the computer and what optional fixes will prove necessary or not.

Having said all that, I agree is that .NET 3.5 is awful bloat and I would prefer to avoid it. The thing is I can't even recall if any existing tasks require it and I sure as hell dk if and when MS and app developer will start requiring it. But that'll mean more hassle in the future, which is what slipstreaming is trying to prevent. So the choice is between possibly unnecessary bloat now and possible hassle later. Perhaps with powerful enough computers the bloat is not too bad? I wonder if anybody has a good sense of the effects of the bloat on a running system?

Regarding the The C++ 2005, I was hoping that Kurt know and will say if it can be skipped given that the current version is C++ 2008.

That leaves us with the directX. I'm not sure that it is needed for my tasks and what it does, but I would install it anyway if I didn't have to bother with a program other than nLite and I sure don't feel like figuring out how to do it in nLite. If anybody has the RunOnce code for it, I'll appreciate it.

Regards,

FP

Post 1 answers:

1. Yes, they are included in 5eraph's pack.

2. You won't be bugged by Windows Update for the others (.Net 3.5 will show as an optional).

3. 5eraph's pack doesn't include Visual C++ 2008, so some other program on your system must have installed it. Still as a general rule you should apply all fixes.

4. nLite can't integrate these items, they must be silently installed.

Post 7:

Visual C++ 2008 is NOT cumulative with Visual C++ 2005. For some insane reason they both have the same filename on the MS download site so to make it easier for those who download everything themselves I've only scripted the install for VC05, mainly because I've never come across a program that requires VC08.

Thank you again, Kurt.

Looks like the best way to do it for me is:

1. Use 5eraph's pack and add-ons for xp64 with IE8.

2. Use the wmp11 hotfixes in your list, as I usually run VLC for videos and Silverlight for Netflix.

3. Install only .NET 2.

4. Create a separate folder with the same structure as the one you set up, name it optional, and put in each of its subfolders the surplus of items that I leave out.

Then, if I have to reinstall xp I will see which surplus items are requested by applications and integrate them in the next

slipstreaming version. This way I can keep the system lean with a minimal hassle later on.

2 more questions:

1. Am I correct to assume that when you post updates, you modify the lists at the front of the guide? One doesn't read every update post and modify the list for himself, right?

2. Let's call the folder that contains SP2, Hotfix, etc SLIPSTREAM. Where should I put it for the nLite session? (Note that I won't use your procedure EXACTLY, just as a guide to the folder structure).

Regards,

FP