windows firewall doesnt show any notifications

Woomera

i had the same issue with windows vista, when i check the option for "display a notification" for block connections under "windows firewall with advanced security" settings it doesnt work. it doesnt show any notifications when a connection is blocked.

am i missing something?

I'm using the free version of Windows 7 Firewall Control (link below) on my system, which lets you create rules for outbound connections using the inbuilt MS firewall. It works in Vista and W7. Once installed, you'll see notifications for applications wanting to connect and can deny or allow them. The paid version has more versatility in this, but if you just want to see what's connecting to the outside, the freebie's good enough.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/

i have tried the firewall control for both vista and 7 but there's something about this software that i cant accept. it's suppose to be an interface to the original windows firewall, yet when you allow a process or create a rule in the software, there's no rule is made in the windows firewall. so if you stop using the software all the rule's are gone.