Developing a network structure

horus

First of all, I want to wish you all a Happy New Year!

Secondly, I need your help to solve this problem.

In the near future, I'll have 2 internet connections(connection "1" and "2") and 2 PCs(computer "A"-main computer and "B"-family computer).

I want to use connection 1 only for computer A.

Connection 2 will be either routed between A and B, either switched/commuted by priority.

I'd preffer routing, but I'm thinking that there might be some situations that need extra care and the members of my family won't know what to do(router reset, ports forwarding, etc).

The other way would be to hard-switch the connection when computer B doesn't use it.

I could build an Y-hardwired switch or...I'm wondering if there are managed switches that could block ports by priority, like this: There are 2 PCs, having identical IP addresses(for the internet connection to work), but different MAC addresses. When B is powered on, the switch blocks the port for A, and allows B to use the ISP connection. When B is off, the switch allows A to use the ISP connection. Is this possible?

Finally, I want to be able to use a RDP program to control computer A from computer B, from time to time.

The thing that worries me the most is the security of this "ramshackle house".

Computer B might get infected from time to time due to family use and I want to be able to maintain computer A clean and the network's security untouched.

IMHO, there are 3 solutions:

1)the router solution -I'm worried about those situations(router reset,ports forwarding, etc)

2)the Y switch solution -requires need 3 NICs on PC A, and 2 NICs on B :(

3)the managed switch solution -dunno yet if a managed switch can block/unblock ports by a MAC/port priority rule.

There are some other questions, but I'll add them later, because I feel that I already have stuffed too many things in this post.

Edited by horus

You probably don't need to go overboard, they do offer Dual ISP routers so home users can utilize both DSL and Cable modems at the same time. Then to isolate your main machine from your Family machine, place your Main machine behind a second router. This way it can RDP to the first machine, but the family machine cannot get through the secondary router and infect the Main machine. (like a DMZ setup)

DSL + Cable ---- Internet

| |

| |

| |

Dual-WAN Router ($250 or more) ---- Family machine

|

|

|

Secondary Normal Router ($20 on sale) ---- Main Machine

Only needs 5 network cables and 1 nic per machine.

EDIT: and to answer your second question, Yes, some of that might be gibberish, but I think this is what you were looking for. If you want to make things really easy, place the Dual-WAN + both modems on the same power strip and reset everything with a single switch.

Edited by MrJinje

Thank you for your reply, MrJinje.

I have to admit that it's an interesting solution, but I can't afford it. It's too expensive.

Also, I don't like SOHO routers, due to their limited number of simultaneous connections, stability, limited speeds,etc, port-forwarding stuff that needs to be configured on some apps, etc.