problems with sharing internet via WiFi

gama8

Hello,

please I could use some help, I have been trying to share my wired broadband internet connection (from my host PC) with another computer (client PC) by adhoc connecting their wi-fi adapters. Both computers run on XP SP-2.

I have read millions of manuals and I THINK I got the adhoc wireless connection between my host and client right. Even though, I am not sure whether to use automatic or fixed IP addressing..... the adhoc wireless connection seems to work both ways.... I pinged the client from the host and it said 0% loss of info. I guess that's ok. (from time to time it disconnects on its own, though)

Anyway, the problem is I can't connect the client PC to the internet. Even though I turned on ICS on the host PC, I never got a "gateway" icon on the network connections window at my client PC. I have created a new network connection in the Internet Options in Control Panel, and checked "connect via broadband connection that is always on", like it said in the manual. it still doesn't work.

Could the problem be with my wired broadband connection? my cable IS provider only allows one MAC address to use that connection (the MAC address of my host PC)....

please help me.

tnx.......

• 2 weeks later...

I have read millions of manuals

I am not sure whether to use automatic or fixed IP addressing....

What have you read then ? :blink:

I never tried it in WiFi but for ICS to work, the 1st thing your manuals should say is that the client needs to be on DHCP and ICS ticked on the host's Internet connection.

So, the host is wired to the internet, right ? Also the things that get in the way are firewalls. Disable them for a test if any.