usb mouse doesn't work anymore

andreyvul

andreyvul, you never answered my questions from an older reply, such as where your source came from. Knowing little at this time I would be more suspicious of the AMDAway driver. What purpose does it serve? Please post a link to where you DLed all the ATI and the AMDAway drivers. At this time I think maybe the best starting point is to remove all but the text mode drivers and see if the mouse works. Enjoy, John.

The source is from MSDN. I have a MSDN subscription and downloaded it from there.

AMDAway is a driver for Cool'n'Quiet support.

The drivers were downloaded from MSI's download page for the 785GT-E45 motherboard.

Edited by andreyvul

andreyvul, AMDAway is not a Cool'n'Quiet driver. Here is what MSI DL page says for 785GTM-E45 MB.

This INF file removes the unresolved hardware detection (YELLOW BANG! associated with devices that do not have the proper driver installed) only.

Ver. 1.0.1.0

I don't think I would want this on my system anyway. I would want to know about missing drivers. BTW, Cool'n'Quiet is not really a driver but just an application. Please run the experiment I suggested and let us hear the results and please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

andreyvul, OK, thanks. I think now you should try Kurt_Aust's suggestion in another thread where lots of stuff was removed/tweaked. Run nLite (starting with a fresh copy of CD files/folders), remove nothing and tweak nothing. You need to permanently remove "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process". It exposes a Windows bug, but is not your problem. I would warn against "CDPromptRemove" in options. This can cause Setup to start over and over. I am not familiar with "DisableFreereq" and "AdvTweaks" and can't find them in my Options Task (I am running x64). What are they and what do they do? For your test run, they should be removed. What is the ERSvc service you have disabled? Please let us hear the results. Good luck, John.

andreyvul, OK, thanks. I think now you should try Kurt_Aust's suggestion in another thread where lots of stuff was removed/tweaked. Run nLite (starting with a fresh copy of CD files/folders), remove nothing and tweak nothing. You need to permanently remove "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process". It exposes a Windows bug, but is not your problem.

So basically, stock XP with F6-floppy drivers merged?

I am not familiar with "DisableFreereq" and "AdvTweaks" and can't find them in my Options Task (I am running x64). What are they and what do they do?

Disable Free Space requirement. It's in the Setup options task.

What is the ERSvc service you have disabled?

Error Reporting.

I facepalmed so hard right now.

The mouse wasn't working because it was connected to a USB hub, not directly to a USB root port. Same thing happened with a USB keyboard in Linux.

After setup, same thing - directly to motherboard, mouse works; via hub, mouse doesn't work.

I have no idea why this is happening. Any suggestions?

And it's not a hardware problem, since I pop in a Knoppix livecd and everything works.

Edited by andreyvul

andreyvul, so you are saying that it would have worked all along if plugged directly into a USB port? I would check with the mouse vendor tech support. Have you done some Googling? Good luck, John.

The it-works-in-Linux argument is perfectly valid here. But a Windows bug is a Windows bug - you can't just recompile the kernel.

Also, happy new year!